SOLVED Asterisk vs FreeSwitch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davesworld

Feb 1, 2019
Faxing is a huge part of my setup and I added export variables to ensure t38 support at every leg of the fax call using FusionPBX/Freeswitch both incoming and outgoing. Combine this with a Netgen ATA and it is as reliable as POTS and WILL use t38 whenever the other end supports it. Although Bandwidth does not advertise it, I have gotten t38 calls on incoming faxes since my DIDs are through Bandwidth. It is still used for medical and legal where email addresses are deliberately not listed. I am seeing more and more instances where the sensitive document can be uploaded via their website so I don't have to use fax as much as I did before.

markjcrane

Staff member
Jul 22, 2018
Honestly, what has been a big blocker for us is the lack of a cohesive client experience. Is FusionPBX had a cross-platform client like 3CX does, I don't think we'd end up selling many 3CXs at all. 3CX does win out here no matter what client you use for FusionPBX, because it also creates a little VPN tunnel to avoid NAT shenanigans that are ever so common otherwise.
This is possible in FusionPBX as many of the phone support OpenVPN. In the future will add some tools to make it easier to use OpenVPN. However currently nothing is stopping from using OpenVPN many of the phone vendors include support for it. The thing that holds people up with using OpenVPN with FusionPBX is some effort.

Last edited:

markjcrane

Staff member
Jul 22, 2018
I like your sense of humor. It made me laugh. I think he (Mark @ FusionPBX) has a few top tier membership keeping him busy and is giving him the ability to keep it going. On the negative side, they make him too busy to respond to other minor players' needs and release a stable version for years. Or maybe it is the large players' wish to keep us as minor players, so we do not get important features like SMS and WebRTC. Who knows!
The truth on this is very different. The Top Tier FusionPBX members are for the most part not very demanding. They are generous and supporting and have more IT staff and handle many of their own issues. They don't eat up a lot of the time. The overall support for everyone does eat up a bit of the time but it often leads to many bug fixes and improvements. There are multiple ways to add SMS to FusionPBX or to your product offering. One currently open source I've fixed some bugs in it, one is a member feature and several 3rd party options. WebRTC is the same story there are multiple options available out there 3rd party and open source. FusionPBX will offer an official WebRTC web application soon.

If anyone missed it FusionPBX 5.0 was released in April 2022. Multiple FusionPBX member features have been released as open source and likely more will be released in the future.
  • Email Queue
  • SIP Trunks
  • User Logs
  • Dialplan Tools

gflow

Aug 25, 2019
This is possible in FusionPBX as many of the phone support OpenVPN. In the future will add some tools to make it easier to use OpenVPN. However currently nothing is stopping from using OpenVPN many of the phone vendors include support for it. The thing that holds people up with using OpenVPN with FusionPBX is some effort.

Ive never experienced any NAT issues for the past 10 years. I’ve done the 3CX training and they talk a lot of NAT issues but honestly they rarely even exist if you have a half decent router. The issue that you are more likely running into is where clients have SIP ALG enabled that’s where the 3CX tunnel comes in handy but I just enable SIP TLS on my sip softphone and that creates an encrypted tunnel.

There are also multiple cross platform cloud provisioned softphones I personally use Bria Enterprise and have tested and soon to deploy Ringotel.

Reactions: bcmike
Status
Not open for further replies.