Number Alias - User creation - Multi-tenant

Status
Not open for further replies.

CPav

Dec 13, 2017
Hi all, new to FusionPBX, have it installed and working pretty well so far in my testing. I've set it up with Multi-domain/tenant and created an admin user account for one of my subdomains.

When I'm logged in with my superadmin account and I create a new extension I have the option to set the extension as well as the Number alias for the extension, this allows me to set the extension to something like FAFirm700 and the number alias to 700, which achieves a user login that's not the extension but then obviously I can ring the extension 700 from any of my phones.

However, when I login with the admin account I created for maintaining that domain and I create a new extension I do not have the option to set the number alias...just the extension.

Is there a way to toggle this through default settings? Or do I need to create a user account along with the extension so that I can achieve a login that does not use the actual extension number 700 for authentication..hope this makes sense.

DigitalDaz

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 29, 2016
Avoid aliases. Also aliases absolutely should not create a user login. What you need to do is create a user then associate it with the extension in the extension settings.

CPav

Dec 13, 2017
Avoid aliases. Also aliases absolutely should not create a user login. What you need to do is create a user then associate it with the extension in the extension settings.
Thanks DD, ok so I'm very new to SIP and FusionPBX, so must I then input the user details or the extension details into my softphone? As I understand it, if I create a user and an extension (associate them together) I can use either the extension credentials or the user credentials on my softphone right? But I've been told to avoid having an account that can authenticate with and extension number....will this be the case if I'm not using an alias? i.e. create a user like user1 with password pass1 and then an extension 100, system then generates a password for ext 100...I can then login with either the user1 or the ext 100?

DigitalDaz

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 29, 2016
Don't complicate things, who told you this? Just create a regular extension with a number and use that in your sofphone.

Users if for people to log into GUI extensions is for devices/phones/softphones

You can then associate user with extension so when a user logs into GUI he/she can see the CDRs etc for their phone.

In that case it is a good idea not to have the Users username=extension

CPav

Dec 13, 2017
Don't complicate things, who told you this? Just create a regular extension with a number and use that in your sofphone.

Users if for people to log into GUI extensions is for devices/phones/softphones

You can then associate user with extension so when a user logs into GUI he/she can see the CDRs etc for their phone.

In that case it is a good idea not to have the Users username=extension
Ok, understood the use case for the user acoount and association thereof. Regarding the reason NOT to use the extension as the login for an account was due to possible hack attempts, I will have roaming users and the thought was that a login with say LAW701 would be better security wise than just plain old 701....and this is where I find using the Number alias helpful...

So why is it not a good idea to use the number alias? Is this bad practice due to any security implications?

DigitalDaz

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 29, 2016
Number aliasing is not as well tested as it should be. Moreover there are plenty of protections against brute forcing already built in. I have 20+ fusionpbx servers running on the internet, some for well over 5 years.

Reactions: CPav
Status
Not open for further replies.