Outbound Caller ID Best Practices

Status
Not open for further replies.

c0reM

Jan 19, 2017
Hi guys,

I was just wondering what are the best practices for setting the outbound caller ID number in North America?

Generally speaking, it seems to work fine with any of these for, say (555) 123-5600:

+15551235600

This said, I have noticed that with the first option (not prefixing the 1) some carriers seem to think the first two numbers are the country code.

Should we ideally always be putting the +1 on the outbound caller ID field manually? Is there any way to get FusionPBX to rewrite this on its own? What do you guys do?

Thanks!

DigitalDaz

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 29, 2016
What you should ideally be doing is asking your carrier what format they want it in.

c0reM

Jan 19, 2017
What you should ideally be doing is asking your carrier what format they want it in.
Thanks for the reply DigiDaz.

The reason I'm asking about best practices is because we do LCR across a large number of carriers (20 odd carriers) and I've not found any common answer. It seems a some carriers in the US are using just 10 digit, most in Canada and Europe seem to have standardized to E.164.

At this point, I have started defaulting to using E.164 format as it seems to be the most compatible across carriers - everybody recognizes and reads them correctly on the receiving end. I haven't had any cases yet where it is misinterpreted.

It would be cool to see if there was a way to get FusionPBX to format the caller ID number to E.164 format automatically before passing it onto the carrier as it could save some hassle but I guess it's no big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.