Subdomain Help

Jasonpbx

Feb 20, 2024
Good Afternoon Everyone,

I am trying to add a subdomain(s) to my FusionPBX server. My goal is to separate my customers by subdomain names. I was able to set them up through GoDaddy. I went through the steps of adding it to Fusionpbx. I'm stuck and I don't know what to do at this point. It seems like the subdomain I created is not connected to the server. Again, I'm not sure what I'm really looking at or what I'm supposed to see. If anyone can walk me through this process. It would help out tremendously. I am open to do anydesk if that would work. At this point. I really need help.

Adrian Fretwell

Aug 13, 2017
I'm not sure what "set them up through GoDaddy" means here. Do you understand A records and CNAME?

An A record associates your domain name with an IP address:
Code:
mypbx.com            1800        IN A        1.2.3.4

A CNAME allows you to reference the A record:
Code:
customer-1            1800        IN CNAME    mypbx.com
customer-2            1800        IN CNAME    mypbx.com
customer-3            1800        IN CNAME    mypbx.com

Now your domains in FusionPBX or similar can be
customer-1.mypbx.com
customer-2.mypbx.com

It is as simple as that.

Jasonpbx

Feb 20, 2024
Thank you for replying. I what I was trying to say is I created the subdomain names in Godaddy that's as far as my knowledge goes. I see the A record information.

Jasonpbx

Feb 20, 2024
Would you be able to walk me through the process? I have all of the subdomain names created. I also added them to my fusionpbx server. I just don't know what to do next

Adrian Fretwell

Aug 13, 2017
I have seen your PM, we will work through what you need and post back here for the benefit of others. I will pick this up in the (UK) morning.

Adrian Fretwell

Aug 13, 2017
Ok, so do all the subdomain names point to the same IP address? and is this the IP address of your FusionPBX box?

Adrian Fretwell

Aug 13, 2017
For the benefit of others reading this thread, we got to the bottom of it. The DNS provider had not set the sub-domains to the same IP address as the main FusionPBX server, despite them saying they had.

The dig command proved very useful in diagnosing the issue:
https://linux.die.net/man/1/dig

Reactions: cemotyz09