SOLVED Audio format efficiency

Status
Not open for further replies.

ewdpb

Oct 3, 2019
Hi all,

Question: is there any performance difference in using WAV, MP3, OGG files (at 8K) in an IVR (for playing back audio to callers). Clearly ogg files are more efficient from the band width perspective but would I be paying any penalty on CPU or memory processing? I cannot really find any details on it and I do not have the resources to hit my servers with a load tests.

Thanks!

Adrian Fretwell

Aug 13, 2017
The simple answer, without discussing native formats, codecs and codec bit rates, is WAV mono sampled at 8000Hz.

Reactions: ewdpb

KonradSC

Mar 10, 2017
I agree with Adrian on the WAV at 8000Hz.

Also, I highly recommend that you spend a day and get to know sipp. Understanding the load that your server can handle makes a huge difference in how you configure and troubleshoot your system.

I would setup an inbound call to an IVR from sipp in your scenario. That should give similar results as outbound.

DigitalDaz

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 29, 2016
I see no gain except disk space, which is cheap, it doesn't matter bandwidth wise as its just going to be converted anyway, your not sending ogg over the wire.

ewdpb

Oct 3, 2019
Ahh... I am not sending ogg over the wire! That is very true. I was mistaken in thinking that given the ogg file was smaller the audio used by the RTP was also smaller but that is of course not the case! I only have a bunch of audio files, disk space is not really a problem here.

Thank you all for the replies!

Status
Not open for further replies.