Change Post Install IP Address

Status
Not open for further replies.

KitchM

Jul 15, 2019
If I have already installed the whole thing, and then want to change the IP address of the PBX server, how is that done without a fresh install with automatic configuration?

Adrian Fretwell

Aug 13, 2017
There is really not much to do. Depending on how you manage your Linux installation, you can change the IP address by editing /etc/network/interfaces.

When you installed Fusion, it will have created a default domain for you with a name based on the IP address at the time of installation for example 192.168.22.44. So you would probably connect to the web interface with something like:
https://192.168.22.44 and your user name would be admin.

The domain name in the browser is used by default as part of the authentication. If you need to login to a different domain then use username@domain. So once you have changed your IP address your login would become admin@192.168.22.44 (not your new IP address).

Everything else should just work.

DigitalDaz

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 29, 2016
I actually had to do this for a client the other day who had not followed recommendations and had used the primary IP as his main domain. Despite renaming in advanced/domains the database was riddled with entries containing the old ip.

What I eventually did and which was successful, was to stop freeswitch, dump out the entire db, use sed to replace the old ip with the new one, then in postgres:
Code:
drop database fusionpbx;
create database fusionpbx;

Now import your modified sql file into the new db.

Adrian Fretwell

Aug 13, 2017
riddled with entries containing the old ip

What as an actual IP address and not just a domain name that looks like an IP address? I would like to know more about this...

The reason I ask is because a couple of years ago I set up Fusion on a VM then replicated the VM several times just changing the IP address (and hostname etc.) and never had any trouble.

Last edited:

KitchM

Jul 15, 2019
Okay, so the other comments have left me a little confused. You may notice that coming into the discussion is the mention of the domain name. So what is the domain name for the setup?

JamesBorne

Jan 24, 2019
Australia
So what is the domain name for the setup?
Remember when you installed, and the "completed" prompt said:

Code:
Installation has completed.
   Use a web browser to login.
      domain name: https://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
      username: admin
      password: xxxxxxxxxx

The domain name in the browser is used by default as part of the authentication.
   If you need to login to a different domain then use username@domain.
      username: admin@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

well. If you change your IP address, all you need to be aware of, is that to log in you will need to do admin@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is your old IP address.

DigitalDaz

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 29, 2016
I think he is referring to what is domain full stop.

One you have installed, go to advanced/domains and add a domain.

From then on, create all your extensions etc in that domain. After you have added your new domain you will get a dropdown box on the right to select it.

Reactions: legolas108

KitchM

Jul 15, 2019
Thanks, JamesBorne. I did indeed forget that. I had even copied it. In all my life I have never heard of an IP address being a domain aname, so it was reasonable to see it as just an address. I hope they fix that.

Thanks, DigitalDaz. I suppose this is where the need for Let's Encrypt comes into play. I suppose that if there is just a server in the corner of the offices that handles the PBX, there is little reason to have a domain name or a certificate.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.