Domains

Status
Not open for further replies.

rribeiro

Jan 18, 2023
Dear friends,

About domains, I have some questions:

1) Is it mandatory that it be a valid subdomain?
Ex1.: xyz.domain.com (need a dns note?)

2) Can I use "XYZ" as a domain name (without dns, of course) and configure clients with "XYZ" in the domain field?

I tested 1 and 2 and both work for calls, but is there a problem with not using a valid subdomain?

3) Can I disable some service/menu for a specific domain or when doing it for one, do they all follow?

Thank about our time!

Adrian Fretwell

Aug 13, 2017
As long as you have a method of resolving "XYZ" to an IP address, then you can do whatever you like.

There are many instances where a valid domain is better, like requesting SSL certificates.

Running you own DNS server is not difficult but beyond the scope of this forum. Look at bind9 (https://wiki.debian.org/Bind9).

Reactions: rribeiro

rribeiro

Jan 18, 2023
As long as you have a method of resolving "XYZ" to an IP address, then you can do whatever you like.

There are many instances where a valid domain is better, like requesting SSL certificates.

Running you own DNS server is not difficult but beyond the scope of this forum. Look at bind9 (https://wiki.debian.org/Bind9).

Thank you about your time!

A colleague from the Telegram Brasil group also recommended using a valid domain(DNS) because some ip phones do not have domain configuration and use DNS as domain config.

ad5ou

Jun 12, 2018
Another option that works with most phones is to use "outbound proxy" with a real domain name, You can set a single resolvable domain name for the actual server IP, then each user domain can be a private unresolvable private dns name.

ie: server address could be domain1.xyz (or even just 'mycustomername') and outbound proxy set as mypbxserver.com

Domains in Freeswitch are just context to match against and are typically a domain name but don't have to be as long as devices know how to reach the server.

rribeiro

Jan 18, 2023
My scenario is a multi-sector university.

The DNS is pointed to fusionpbx.university.com (CNAME)

What I had thought was to have only this DNS note.

The FusionPBX domains would be "TEST", "SECTOR1", "SECTOR2", ETC.

In the MicroSIP settings I managed to make it work as shown in the attached image, but I don't know how it behaves in other equipment.

I also wanted to know if I would have future problems working this way.

1675711550141.png

ad5ou

Jun 12, 2018
Every endpoint has different setting options and not many have a separate "domain" field like Microsip.

Some devices would expect 11@test and use server name empty or "test" and Proxy set to fusionpbx.university.com
Other devices expect username: 11 Server address: test outbound proxy or proxy address: fusionpbx.university.com

I haven't tested setting when using TLS for SIP, but should work also depending on certificate settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.