Extension to Extension call quality issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

deerefanatic

Nov 2, 2020
So, I have a brand new fusionPBX installation that I'm doing testing with for my business. I have inbound and outbound calling to the PSTN working great. Call quality is amazing.

I just made a call to another extension however and call quality was terrible, almost unusable. I'm using Polycom Soundpoint IP 321's, they are located on the same local subnet as each other and connected via VPN tunnel to my PBX server on DigitalOcean (no nat traversal).

I've worked with Cisco phone systems in the past and on those, extension to extension only sent the call control through the server, the audio stream went directly from one phone to the other. Is that how it works with FusionPBX or does all the audio go through the gateway (fusionpbx)? I'm just trying to figure out where to start troubleshooting this.

-Matt

vespaman

Jul 28, 2017
not all phones work like the cisco.
  1. change the codecs you are using
  2. connect phones without VPN and test

ad5ou

Jun 12, 2018
The default system settings will route all audio to/from the call server.

deerefanatic

Nov 2, 2020
So I discovered the issue. I didn't realize all audio went through the server. My phones are older and are using G711u for the codec, which uses about 214kbps data rate. I had a QOS queue on my router for VOIP of 256k so basically, I was maxing out the queue. bumped the Queue size up and all was good.

Status
Not open for further replies.