SOLVED Feature Request: Idiot Proofing

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcmike

Jun 7, 2018
Hi,

The carriers in North America are now getting tough on enforcing valid call display. I was wondering if there was a way to enforce validation on the outbound call display field when creating an extension.

Yes this is mostly to prevent me from forgetting about call display or putting it in the wrong field and then having calls rejected (I am the idiot in question)

Adrian Fretwell

Aug 13, 2017
There is a relatively new permission in extensions called outbound_caller_id_select. It is not enabled by default (at least not on an upgrade), if selected it will only allow you to select a caller ID from numbers you have in your inbound destinations.

DigitalDaz

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 29, 2016
There is a relatively new permission in extensions called outbound_caller_id_select. It is not enabled by default (at least not on an upgrade), if selected it will only allow you to select a caller ID from numbers you have in your inbound destinations.

This is years old :) I think it may well have disappeared for a while.

I think its tough to idiot proof as for example, at the time the extension is created, you may not yet have defined any DIDs. I think you just need to start disciplining yourself to do it.

Adrian Fretwell

Aug 13, 2017
I have to agree with @DigitalDaz it is impossible for the software to police what you are trying to do. We have seen some tightening up from Ofcom with caller ID here in the UK. There are many legitimate reasons why you may need to present a caller ID that is not one of the systems inbound destinations.

DigitalDaz

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 29, 2016
An actual ongoing issue with callerID and a valid use case is forwarding. If you are forwarding the call you may well want to present the incoming DID to the forwarded call recipient.

Reactions: Adrian Fretwell

ad5ou

Jun 12, 2018
I agree the best way is to remember to add correct CID with each extension.
Another option is to add a “default” caller ID for the site in dialplan.

bcmike

Jun 7, 2018
I think you guys are misunderstanding what I'm asking and perhaps over thinking it a bit. I wasn't really asking for the system to check against any lists and enforce any rules. I just want the form to validate the field has been filled out, that's it, as in it can't be blank.

I guess if I really wanted to ask for something fancy perhaps a domain default caller id could be specified somewhere that would be overridden by extension outbound call display fields. This may already exist to forgive me if it does.

DigitalDaz

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 29, 2016
Whilst I think what you are asking for is valid I also know that fusionpbx development resources are limited. I would much rather the team is coding to fix bugs and add features than to make it a platform for idiots, using your terminology. That said, if you can fix it and make a pull request then go ahead.

bcmike

Jun 7, 2018
10-4 message received, the idiot thing was meant more as a joke.

Ok, I think I'll look at the form and see if I can add the validation and then make it a domain option ie; enforce_CID = yes

bcmike

Jun 7, 2018
Ok I figured out how to do the simplest form of what I wanted to do, here's how.

First use at your won risk!!

Make a backup of extensions_edit.php

cp /var/www/fusionpbx/app/extensions/extension_edit.php /var/www/fusionpbx/app/extensions/extension_edit.bak

The edit line 1171 and line 1211 with the "required" flag for the field

echo " <input class='formfld' type='text' name='outbound_caller_id_name' maxlength='255' value=\"".escape($outbound_caller_id_name)."\" required='required'>\n";

echo " <input class='formfld' type='text' name='outbound_caller_id_number' maxlength='255' min='0' step='1' value=\"".escape($outbound_caller_id_number)."\" required='required'>\n";

Done like dinner and a lot easier than I thought it would be.

bcmike

Jun 7, 2018
Ok one last thing. If you want the field label to be bold, to indicate it's required like the other required fields edit line 1140 and 1179 respectively. Change the cell class from "vncell" to "vncellreq"

echo "<td class='vncellreq' valign='top' align='left' nowrap='nowrap'>\n";

Status
Not open for further replies.