Force G729 on certain extensions

Status
Not open for further replies.

yukon

Oct 3, 2016
Hello, has anyone found a "best practice" for forcing certain extensions to use a certain codec? In this case I have a customer who has an office in Mexico with poor internet. We want to make sure that ALL calls to and from those extensions use G729. I've tried setting "Absolute Codec String" on the extension page, I've tried adding a dial-plan that sets Absolute Codec String TO and FROM those extensions but nothing seem to force ALL calls to use G729.

Now I've just ended up creating a provisioning profile that only uses G729 for the devices in that office. But there's got to be a better way. Suggestions?

bcmike

Jun 7, 2018
Have G729 as the first codec in your Sofia Internal profile and then only have G729 provisioned to the phone, or at least make it preferred on the phone. Honestly I've had better luck with GSM in low bandwidth situations.

As an aside, a compressed codec isn't going to do anything to fix jitter or packet loss, so make sure you also increase you jitter buffers to account for this if the connection is really bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.