Hot Desking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MKNGRP

Mar 26, 2021
Hi there everyone!

My client has moved to a new office and he is looking to achieve hot desking.
I am having a very complicated time finding any sort of resources on this subject.
Can anyone help guide me?
Thank you in advance!

flagman

Dec 1, 2020
Hi there everyone!

My client has moved to a new office and he is looking to achieve hot desking.
I am having a very complicated time finding any sort of resources on this subject.
Can anyone help guide me?
Thank you in advance!
Hi,
Are you looking for a VoIP phone service provider who can do it for you or do you want to do it on your own PBX?
We are the service provider and we have a very flexible Hot Desking feature included in our service.

ad5ou

Jun 12, 2018
Fusionpbx hotdesking is yet another feature that is only documented in the paid member documentation.

Adrian Fretwell

Aug 13, 2017
I don't think hotdesking is difficult to set up, I used it years ago for a customer, before the existence of paid member documentation.

I can't remember all the details because we don't use it currently, if I get time I dig into my old notes. From what I can remember, the phones must be auto provisioned and you need to assign a user to their hotdesk extension. Then it is just a matter of picking up and extension and dialing *11. Have a look at *11 and *12 in the dialplan manager.

*11 provisions the device with the hotdesk extension for that user and *12 provisions the device back to whatever it was. I think that's about all there is to it, unless it has changed significantly since I last used it.

MKNGRP

Mar 26, 2021
I don't think hotdesking is difficult to set up, I used it years ago for a customer, before the existence of paid member documentation.

I can't remember all the details because we don't use it currently, if I get time I dig into my old notes. From what I can remember, the phones must be auto provisioned and you need to assign a user to their hotdesk extension. Then it is just a matter of picking up and extension and dialing *11. Have a look at *11 and *12 in the dialplan manager.

*11 provisions the device with the hotdesk extension for that user and *12 provisions the device back to whatever it was. I think that's about all there is to it, unless it has changed significantly since I last used it.
Thank you so much for getting back to me!!

Please let me know if I'm understanding things correctly

In order to auto-provision - I must do it the normal way I usually do by assigning the mac address to the devices, implementing the configuration specifications on the server and then, assigning a device to a specific extension.
Upon doing so - by simply dialing *11 and or *12 - I am able to log in and out of a phone?

ad5ou

Jun 12, 2018
Adrian gave you the basic idea of how it works in Fusionpbx. It really is a fairly simple process but is not like many other versions of hotdesking where extensions just login/logout.

My memory is fuzzy since I've never needed to use it and don't want to break the confidentiality of member docs but essentially the *11/*12 allows the phone to provision the "standard" device provisioning files, or a different device's provisioning files. *11 can allow any device to use any other device's settings (assuming the device template is compatible with a given phone) but it has to have the proper credentials to allow such feature.
1631284777119.png
The above fields on device edit page are related to hotdesking feature.

Reactions: Adrian Fretwell

MKNGRP

Mar 26, 2021
Adrian gave you the basic idea of how it works in Fusionpbx. It really is a fairly simple process but is not like many other versions of hotdesking where extensions just login/logout.

My memory is fuzzy since I've never needed to use it and don't want to break the confidentiality of member docs but essentially the *11/*12 allows the phone to provision the "standard" device provisioning files, or a different device's provisioning files. *11 can allow any device to use any other device's settings (assuming the device template is compatible with a given phone) but it has to have the proper credentials to allow such feature.
View attachment 2554
The above fields on device edit page are related to hotdesking feature.
Hi there,

Thank you so much for all your help.
Can you please advise me on what the username and password are supposed to correlate to?
Would that be the physical phones login method? (ex: username: admin - password: admin)?

MKNGRP

Mar 26, 2021
Hi,
Are you looking for a VoIP phone service provider who can do it for you or do you want to do it on your own PBX?
We are the service provider and we have a very flexible Hot Desking feature included in our service.
I would like to do it within my own pbx please

glennbtn

Aug 7, 2018
We did this many years ago using Snom phones as they did not require a reboot. We simply had a provisioning script for the mac address and then a virtual provisioning script were the mac was all zero's apart from the last digit which were the extension number. Using the *11 & *12 feature codes. Had to change the dialplan on these for reboot is false.

Seemed to work a treat.

Incubugs

Apr 7, 2018
yealinks have there own hotdesk feature that works fine with fusionpbx, you can simply set a log in / out key on the phone and use the device username and password thats about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.