Ideas On How One Might Monitor Call Quality

Status
Not open for further replies.

PBXMePlz

Mar 1, 2019
So something I've been pondering in my head from since I started playing with phones a few years ago is:
How would one realistically monitor a phone system to the level that a user would notice?; e.g. "the phone isn't ringing", or "the line is dead", or "call quality is really bad".
We can monitoring things like bandwidth, CPU, Memory, ping, etc... but at the end of the day, nothing beats picking up that phone and making a call. But there has to be a way to do this with robots/scripts/programming, I hate users being the ones to tell me my equipment is having problems.

Here's the closest theory I have so far:
The phone system has a script that starts a call with another system script; one system generates a tone at a certain frequency, the other system generates a tone at another frequency, both monitor their neighbors tone. Variations in tone would trigger an alert of some kind.
This is the best idea I have so far, and we're still in the primordial state. Any other thoughts? Anyone actually done this before?

lenz

So something I've been pondering in my head from since I started playing with phones a few years ago is:
How would one realistically monitor a phone system to the level that a user would notice?; e.g. "the phone isn't ringing", or "the line is dead", or "call quality is really bad".
We can monitoring things like bandwidth, CPU, Memory, ping, etc... but at the end of the day, nothing beats picking up that phone and making a call. But there has to be a way to do this with robots/scripts/programming, I hate users being the ones to tell me my equipment is having problems.

Here's the closest theory I have so far:
The phone system has a script that starts a call with another system script; one system generates a tone at a certain frequency, the other system generates a tone at another frequency, both monitor their neighbors tone. Variations in tone would trigger an alert of some kind.
This is the best idea I have so far, and we're still in the primordial state. Any other thoughts? Anyone actually done this before?
I remember that Miguel Torres had a presentation of a similar tool a few years ago.... it's based on Asterisk, but it sounds pretty similar to what you wanted to do. The idea si that you get automated recordings of known sources, then do a spectral analysis and compare them.

There is a repo with that work: https://github.com/mafairnet/aloha/

PBXMePlz

Mar 1, 2019
I remember that Miguel Torres had a presentation of a similar tool a few years ago.... it's based on Asterisk, but it sounds pretty similar to what you wanted to do. The idea si that you get automated recordings of known sources, then do a spectral analysis and compare them.

There is a repo with that work: https://github.com/mafairnet/aloha/
This looks about right, lemme see what I can do with this. One thing I noticed too in FusionPBX, is Ping dependencies under advanced for Gateway options; I wonder if realistically speaking, one can just set fail-over based on assumptions that at X and Y ping audio quality WILL degrade. But even then, that doesn't give you options for onsite, unless your PBX is onsite.
I'm going to play with this though, thanks!

Reactions: lenz
Status
Not open for further replies.