SOLVED Remote phone book

Status
Not open for further replies.

s2svoip

Dec 9, 2019
Seeing some interesting things with contacts on my yealink phones.

I have Local contacts working perfect, it has the entire list of extensions for the domain. Interestingly enough if I grab the Remote URL from the handsets config next to #3 Local and paste it in a browser I get file not found /var/www/fusionpbx/resources/templates/provision//directory.xml - but it works on the handset

I am trying to get a Global phonebook working, so every handset has a list of common external contacts, I followed the steps in https://docs.fusionpbx.com/en/latest/applications/contacts.html but no dice, and if I try the URLs from the remote phone book on the handset, I get the same http error above - but odd that the Local one works just fine

anyone had any luck with this,

TheOperator

Nov 30, 2016
Bavaria, Germany
Works here since ages, with personal and global phone books ;-).

Check the following:
Enable the following settings in Advanced -> Default Settings -> Provision:
  • contact_groups
  • contact_extensions
Assign a "User" to your extensions (Accounts -> Extensions -> User)

Then, go and edit the "Users" and/or "Groups" settings of your contacts (Application -> Contact):
  • If you add a user to the list of "Users", then the contact should be provisioned to the "Personal" remote phone book of that user's extension
  • If you add the group "users" to "Groups", then you should see the contact in the "Global" remote phone book.
I have noticed that some changes to the default directory.xml resulted in missing contacts on the phone. Looks like only contacts with a valid "Organization" entry are currently loaded. Reverting to the previous version should resolve that though.

I am using a customized directory.xml with different formatting (Last name, given name (Label) -- Organization), so am not affected by the change to the default template.

Reactions: s2svoip

s2svoip

Dec 9, 2019
Humm, I think I am completely missing something here, and the word User/Users & Groups in being used in different contexts

I have not made any use of the Accounts > Users section of fusion pbx yet, just not sure what the need is for this yet, I dont have anyone logging into the web UI of fusion except me, I just have extensions sitting on desks - maybe I am not making use of all the features of fusion by not making user accounts for everyone but I just have not seen the need to do this

so I need to make a fusion pbx user account called anything and assign this to every extension ? or create a unique user for each extension, and then create a contact - then select the fusion pbx user in "Users allowed to view this contact." for it to show in that users personal contacts ?

under Applications > Contacts, I see no way to add a group, only a user and this is a contact user I assume, not to be confused with the fusion pbx 'User'

user Advanced > Group Manager I see the 5 default groups, admin, agent, public, superadmin, user - are you referring to these groups ? I dont see one called Users plural

I tried creating a few Users in Applications > Contacts and assigning them to groups > user and an extention user but nothing shows up even after I update the phone book on the handset

I guess I am a little confused here, and cant explain why the Local contacts work fine even though I cant get to the XML file in a browser

TheOperator

Nov 30, 2016
Bavaria, Germany
My mistake with the group "users" - "user" is correct as you noted.

Looks like this here for a contact that is visible via the "Global" addressbook on the phone:

1590442023366.png

Every person here has a FusionPBX account and is assigned to the group "user":

1590442191812.png

And an extension:

1590442450956.png

If the contact is to be visible in that users personal phone book, the assign that user to the contact:
1590443315898.png

So yes, you need user accounts for your users and then assign them to the group users and to one or more extensions for the ACL mechanism in FusionPBX to work correctly. to be able to display the contacts on the phones.

Hope that makes things clearer.

Last edited:

TheOperator

Nov 30, 2016
Bavaria, Germany
Glad to hear it is working now.

My luck was that I had my user accounts, groups and extensions correctly configured before I started playing with the contacts and phone books. That was why I did not think about a setup without individual user accounts like you had.

s2svoip

Dec 9, 2019
gottya, yeah I haven't seen the need until now to assign users to each extension - other than to get this working what are the benefits of having users assigned to extensions? - I have always administered other phone systems on an extension by extension basis and just put something in the description for either who uses that ext or where its located

DigitalDaz

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 29, 2016
gottya, yeah I haven't seen the need until now to assign users to each extension - other than to get this working what are the benefits of having users assigned to extensions? - I have always administered other phone systems on an extension by extension basis and just put something in the description for either who uses that ext or where its located

Well, just one example is that the user can log into the interfaces, see their CDRs, voicemail, etc, maybe set forwarding on their own phones.

Status
Not open for further replies.