Rogers Home Phone & FusionPBX Advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mc6650

Apr 8, 2019
Hello
I'm thinking of moving my current number over to Rogers Canada Home Phone Service. I believe the equipment they use would deliver the trunk as an analog port off a piece of equipment. Here are my questions and hopefully someone has some experience with this type of service. Let's suspend the thought of using a SIP trunk instead of an analog trunk for the time being. If I bundle the Rogers trunk with other services the cost comes down from $48 to $10 per month; hence the thought of using this service as oppsed to porting my number over to another SIP provider such as VoIP.ms.

1.) Has anyone connected an analog trunk to FusionPBX?
2.) What interface did you use - was it a Cisco ATA and if so what was the quality like and can you recommend a specific make and model of ATA?
3.) I have a Sangoma FXO / FXS card. Can this be easily integrated into FusionPBX. I think I need DAHDI in order for this to work?
4.) I once tried this type of set up with a Bell analog line coming into a Cisco ATA and converting it to SIP before provisioning it on a FreePBX switch. The voice quality was horrible. I don't want to have that happen with Rogers. Do you have any recommendations?

Thanks in advance for any help that can be provided.

Regards
Michael

Adrian Fretwell

Aug 13, 2017
Don't use an analogue trunk, it will be a backward step.
Don't know about Canada, but they will be phased out in the UK by 2025.

I have used Sangoma FXO / FXS cards in the past with DAHDI ,Asterisk and an analogue line - not something I would care to repeat!

bcmike

Jun 7, 2018
Hello
I'm thinking of moving my current number over to Rogers Canada Home Phone Service. I believe the equipment they use would deliver the trunk as an analog port off a piece of equipment. Here are my questions and hopefully someone has some experience with this type of service. Let's suspend the thought of using a SIP trunk instead of an analog trunk for the time being. If I bundle the Rogers trunk with other services the cost comes down from $48 to $10 per month; hence the thought of using this service as oppsed to porting my number over to another SIP provider such as VoIP.ms.

1.) Has anyone connected an analog trunk to FusionPBX?
2.) What interface did you use - was it a Cisco ATA and if so what was the quality like and can you recommend a specific make and model of ATA?
3.) I have a Sangoma FXO / FXS card. Can this be easily integrated into FusionPBX. I think I need DAHDI in order for this to work?
4.) I once tried this type of set up with a Bell analog line coming into a Cisco ATA and converting it to SIP before provisioning it on a FreePBX switch. The voice quality was horrible. I don't want to have that happen with Rogers. Do you have any recommendations?

Thanks in advance for any help that can be provided.

Regards
Michael
Rogers is most likely going to install some sort of ATA themselves, there's no way they have a copper pair going to your house. I'm guessing you're in eastern/central Canada and bundling with internet and cell service, so it'll probably be some sort cable modem with an FXS port on it. So you'd be probably be taking a something coming out of an ATA and putting it back into an FXO card which sounds like a recipe for trouble and overly complex for a home phone solution.

My suggestion is if you're gung ho on bundling just use a regular phone hanging off their ATA and forego a PBX. If you really want to keep your PBX around and use it home get a cheap sip trunk and pay a little more.

Status
Not open for further replies.