What's the current state of sms?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nktech1135

Dec 16, 2017
us
Hello.
I was going to attempt to set up sms on fusionpbx but can't find any current info on how it's done. There used to be a messages app but it's not in the menu anymore. There is an sms app on github that some people have working but i thought that one is older and won't be supported going forward.
There is a page on the messages app in docs, but it has nothing of value on it.
So what is the actual right way to do sms on fusionpbx?

Bifur

Sep 13, 2020
Interested in this as well.

I have the SMS GitHub working, but the messaging app would be nice to have working.

nktech1135

Dec 16, 2017
us
I asked this same question on irc, and unfortunately the new sms app is currently only available to blue members. There is no way i can afford a $300/month subscription for just sms so sadly i'll have to figure something else out.
Needless to say this saddens me that fusion is headed in this direction.

hfoster

Jan 28, 2019
How do you guys even interface with text messages on a SIP PBX? We have never had a single customer request this feature, but it might just be because we are UK based.

ad5ou

Jun 12, 2018
How do you guys even interface with text messages on a SIP PBX? We have never had a single customer request this feature, but it might just be because we are UK based.
Every customer is different and many of the services we compete with offer SMS.
A couple of examples from my personal dealings:

A beauty solon offers scheduling requests, changes, and reminders via text message. Currently, that salon is using a cell phone and dedicated "texting" number for the business. Ideally, they would use a single advertised number for voice and text.

Another company services residential swimming pools and spas and utilizes SMS/MMS for scheduling and reminders of appointments, arrival notices, confirmation of services needed or rendered with image or video, dispatching assignments to technicians, etc.

Yet another company uses chat/sms extensively between departments and/or field workers for quick trackable(logged) communications.

hfoster

Jan 28, 2019
Ahh fair enough, actual SMS. It's practically dead here. Think the only use left is the older 2 Factor Auth. I thought people were trying to turn FusionPBX into like an XML chat server.

ict2842

Mar 2, 2021
Wichita, KS
I have SMS working with the GitHub SMS application and BulkVS. It would be nice to have a web interface for SMS & MMS. The use I have is where people in the small businesses login at a computer and message customers. The phone is nice, but SMS messages don't sync and multiple people need access to the same chats.
As for Messaging being part of a plan -
I don't mind supporting the development of FusionPBX, but I think @markjcrane can rework things on his end. Change up the plans, for example $25-50 for access to docs and $75-100 for docs + training videos (assuming trainings start up again), etc. I dislike the "upgrade your plan for additional support hours" approach. I think they would be better off allowing hourly support and/or support hours bundles. For example, $100 an hour or 4 hours for $350 (not specific on the $ amounts, just examples). I really, really dislike not being able to get support because I can't afford $300, $500, or $1000/mo ongoing. Rather than getting some money from me, they're getting none.

Reactions: Bifur

Bifur

Sep 13, 2020
If you need SMS web portal or whatever. Check out https://www.textable.co

I agree on the current plans though. They are quite expensive. Even having commerical apps would be better. Say 50 bucks a month/year or something per commercial feature(s). Just an example though.

Bifur

Sep 13, 2020
Just to clarify text able has a private label where you can have your "own" app etc. It's 250 minimum a month but if you work it into the other stuff over a few customers then it's not so bad. Has web access, phone app with your business name or whatever, etc. I've used it in trial and it was pretty cool. Would still be nice to have something inside fusion though

Jan 9, 2018
Another use-case we've found is for customers like insurance agents where their clients need to send in pictures from a phone. They can easily send them by MMS to my customer's main number and then the customer receives it in their email.

Also, with the version that is on Github, set correctly, any softphone that uses SIP SIMPLE can be used for both internal messaging between the customer's agents and also for external SMS. It does have the drawbacks mentioned above in that it doesn't play well with group messaging and syncing between multiple users is a problem. And it doesn't currently have a web interface to send/receive. But for most of our use-cases, it is "good enough".

I'm not the original developer, but I have added a few things to it, and I can see where the web interface could be added to it, if someone had the time. (I don't, unfortunately.) And there are a few other niceties that I wish it had, such as a threaded view of messages and full-on support of MMS attachments to the client, instead of just to email. Again, as-is, it is "good enough" for what we need.

Regarding the Messages app that Mark has added: We haven't had a chance to try it yet, but I believe it does have the web interface already. And while I do understand the reluctance to put out $300/month, here's how we look at it: About once every 12-18 months, we typically need several hours of help. The last couple of times, it was 6-9 hours. We could have paid several thousand dollars to get that help at the time, but instead, Mark lets us pay it out $300/month. And then we also get access to the other benefits. Also, if you are going to pay $250/month for Textable, maybe it's worth the extra $50/month to get the built-in Messaging app and support the project in the process?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending Mark across the board. I don't agree with some of his decisions. But if this is the main software that runs your business, $300/month is probably not unreasonable to make sure it keeps running and stays secure. And while I would much prefer the idea of buying support on an as-needed basis, he does make a good point that in order to maintain a staff of folks to provide that support, they need to have a more predictable cash flow. Since most phone service is sold on a recurring, monthly basis, I can certainly relate with that.

ict2842

Mar 2, 2021
Wichita, KS
But if this is the main software that runs your business, $300/month is probably not unreasonable to make sure it keeps running and stays secure.
I completely agree. The issue is more for us who are just starting out, or are small. I don't have any customers on FusionPBX yet. I want to bring a few people on and I have these guys waiting on me. Right now, my Grandstream phones aren't liking calls (specifically from a Call Center); hard to sell service when the phones won't ring :D Once I do bring them on, expected gross revenue (no taxes or USF, but before my cost for the minutes, 911, hosting, etc.) from the 6 clients is $535/mo. How do I budget in $300/mo ongoing so I can have Mark look over my setup? That's where my view is coming from. But yeah, as the business supports itself, I do want to start a subscription.

Reactions: Jonathan Black
Status
Not open for further replies.