Cloud hosting multi-tenant PBX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caleb Dean

Oct 11, 2017
Hey everyone,

I am new to fusionPBX and this may be a remedial question, but I am having serious issues with it and cannot seem to find any help anywhere with it.

I am trying to create a multi-tenant system which is hosted on a google cloud VM with a static IP and auto-provision phones out to the individual tenants . I have got it so the phone finds the provisioning server and pulls the settings, but i'm having issue with the phone actually registering

The settings the phone is pulling for the account seems to be wrong, or the fusionPBX is auto-populating fields oddly. When creating an extension in fusionPBX and assigning a mac address to it, it auto populates the "Account Code" field with the name of the domain it is in. This Account Code then gets pushed out to the phone when it pulls provisioning and is used as the "SIP Server". This doesn't make since to me as the SIP Server should be the external IP of the PBX if I am not mistaken. This would mean I either have to name the domain after the external IP, or manually change the Account Code after you create the extension.

Furthermore, the username it attempts to log in with is pulled directly from the phone as "User Name"@"SIP Server". Because of this when I modify the SIP Server field to actually see the server the username comes back wrong as the name of the domain is not the external IP (user@12.34.5.67).

I tried renaming the domain to the external IP and found that the phone connects and does not throws a "could not find user" error, but it still does through an auth failure error. And, this is where I'm stuck.

Hosting on Google Cloud VM (g1-small)
I am using Debian 8 with a fresh install of fusionPBX as of the day before this post (10/10/2017).
I am trying to set up Yealink T38G and T48G phones.

upload_2017-10-11_8-52-7.png

upload_2017-10-11_8-52-42.png
upload_2017-10-11_8-53-16.png

Adrian Fretwell

Aug 13, 2017
I think in my set up, provisioning is working exactly as you describe. What I have done is set up DNS entries for each domain (Account Code) that all point at the IP address of the Fusion PBX installation. Here is an example from my zone file (bind9):

box1 1800 IN A 185.194.xxx.xxx

company1 1800 IN CNAME box1
company2 1800 IN CNAME box1

I hope you get the idea.

Caleb Dean

Oct 11, 2017
I think in my set up, provisioning is working exactly as you describe. What I have done is set up DNS entries for each domain (Account Code) that all point at the IP address of the Fusion PBX installation. Here is an example from my zone file (bind9):

box1 1800 IN A 185.194.xxx.xxx

company1 1800 IN CNAME box1
company2 1800 IN CNAME box1

I hope you get the idea.
Adrian,
This looks like you have a DNS server set between the phones and the internet which you can add entries to (is that correct?). In my case I will be dealing with companies/individuals that may only have a modem which i may or may not even have access to modify (charter/spectrum/twc).
Is there perhaps a way to modify the phone template to tell it to read the information differently? Because even if I had a DNS behind every modem it is still mildly cumbersome to have to create a DNS entry on each of those servers.

Beyond that though I tested setting the company name as the IP address and while it connected and didn't throw a 'user not found' error. it still had an auth failure alert.

Adrian Fretwell

Aug 13, 2017
I have only one DNS server, well a primary and a secondary to be honest. You could run bind on your Fusion VM. All you need is a Top Level Domain, you will need to consult your domain supplier about how to point the glue records at your server IP. Once you are managing the DNS you simply create a sub domain for each company. You may even find that you can create the sub domains at your domain provider - problem solved you don't then need your own DNS server.

DigitalDaz

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 29, 2016
What the deal is here is that you should not be using IP addresses at all, you should be using a domain name.

Once you have installed fusionpbx the first thing you should do is create a new domain and create your extensions under that new domain.

then your sip server, context etc become the domain name.

Status
Not open for further replies.