Default caller ID?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bounty

Aug 31, 2017
What's the best way to set a domain's default outgoing CID name/number so that it doesn't need to be specified for each extension? I've been looking but don't seem to be able to sort it out. Thanks.

DigitalDaz

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 29, 2016
Just add it to the outbound route.

For example, in a created outbound route you will see:
Code:
effective_caller_id_number=${outbound_caller_id_number}

Just change this to:
Code:
effective_caller_id_number=1234567890

If you do need different caller ID for some phones, also bear in mind that when creating a range of extensions you can add the callerid there too. So for 10 extensions where a couple needed to be different, when creating the range add your callerid, that will create all 10 with caller ID then just edit the two.

Bounty

Aug 31, 2017
Hi DigitalDaz, thanks for the reply. I had seen that as an option but was hoping there might be higher level variables somewhere else that would kick in if nothing is specified, such as a Company Name and Phone Number associated to the domain. No biggie though, this works! Thanks again!

DigitalDaz

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 29, 2016
You can also do the same with caller_id_name too for the company name

AIC2000

Feb 15, 2018
Hello,

When I do that (change it to:effective_caller_id_number=1234567890), when dialling from an extrension with an overriden public caller ID, it doesn't work - just always shows the manually set outbound ID.

Is there a way in FusionPBX to set a default caller ID on the outbound route, and then have the option to dynamically assign caller IDs to specific extensions that use that Outbound route?

Thanks!

DigitalDaz

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 29, 2016
Not really, why not just set the default on ALL the extensions and then set them individually when needed?

AIC2000

Feb 15, 2018
That's what I'm suggesting, but it doesn't seem to work. Where do you set this? setting this in the Outbound route or the Gateway doesn't seem to take effect, unless I'm filling in the wrong box?

When I'm not forcing the CLI on the Extension, the PBX is providing 44<ext> (so 44102) as the CLI when dialling out - instead of a global / approved CLI which is accepted by the trunk provider.

Thanks!

DigitalDaz

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 29, 2016
The outbound route should have:
effective_caller_id_number=${outbound_caller_id_number}

That is how a new outbound route is created, it will then pick up the callerid from Outbound Caller ID Number set in extension.

AIC2000

Feb 15, 2018
Yeah so i have to manually set the outbound caller id on every extension? Seems like a lot of duplication when the extension could be set at Route level, with the option to set it at extension level when it needs to be different?

DigitalDaz

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 29, 2016
But equally when creating a range of extensions you can put it in then just the one time.

AIC2000

Feb 15, 2018
But its still held on the system, duplicated!
Just seems a less efficient was of doing it thats all :)

DigitalDaz

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 29, 2016
Its trivial to change it to the behaviour you are asking but that breaks everyone elses.

Along the lines of if strlen(outbound_caller_id_id_number)>0 then effective_caller_id_number = outbound_caller_id_id_number else effective_caller_id_number='XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX'

AIC2000

Feb 15, 2018
Does it break it for everyone else?

To me it appears to be a non-breaking change, as in theory everyone elses will be set to the extension manually they want them to be anyway? It's just saving people from adding it in moving forward?

I see this as a pretty good suggestion of improvement moving forward, and aligns with how FreePBX works! (I must add, I see FusionPBX an improvement on FreePBX!)

Thanks

royce3

Jun 19, 2018
I believe the solution you're looking for is to go into Advanced Variables, scroll down to "SIP Profile: External" and create a new variable "outbound_caller_id_number". This will give you a default callerid for all extensions, but can be optionally overwritten by the callerid programmed into individual extensions.

AIC2000

Feb 15, 2018
Thanks @royce3, that wouldn't work for multi-tenant though would it, where you wanted to set the default CID to a specific number. You can do it as @DigitalDaz suggests via the dial plan manager though.

royce3

Jun 19, 2018
Thanks @royce3, that wouldn't work for multi-tenant though would it, where you wanted to set the default CID to a specific number. You can do it as @DigitalDaz suggests via the dial plan manager though.

It looks like he was suggesting hacking the php source which could break when upgrading.

I’ve not done any multitenant, but I’m pretty sure there are a couple ways to skin this cat.

If you setup a different IP address and different sip profile for each tenant, it would work as stated, but admittedly you may not want to do this.

You might be able to set that variable in the context, which if I understand correctly is required for multitenant isn’t it?

AIC2000

Feb 15, 2018
No, he was just suggesting changing the dial plan which would carry across should you transfer Fusion / FreeSwitch to new hardware or upgrade the system

royce3

Jun 19, 2018
No, he was just suggesting changing the dial plan which would carry across should you transfer Fusion / FreeSwitch to new hardware or upgrade the system

Yes that would work fine. I guess I got confused by the way he wrote it. At any rate, if you’re not doing multitenant, setting it in the sip profile is simpler to manage and that wasn’t mentioned in this thread and I wanted to add that information to it in case it was useful to someone

AIC2000

Feb 15, 2018
Definitely! From your suggestion you've actually got my eyes looking over bits and you've helped me solve / find another issue I was having so thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.