Fusion vs Kazoo

Status
Not open for further replies.

smn

Jul 18, 2017
I know this is a Fusion forum but I am curious about peoples opinions on the Kazoo project.

I was actually trying to move away from Fusion to Kazoo. However, they seem to be becoming more closed than opensource on the UI. All new Monster UI work seems to be on commercial apps. So you are limited on what you can do with the open source GUI apps. Also, things are more oriented towards reselling on their hosted platform which I have no interest in.

So now I am back to looking at Fusion again. I always liked the Fusion project but thought Kazoo had a lot more potential.

DigitalDaz

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 29, 2016
I usually spin up an install once a year to see how they have progressed, I find it far less appealing though these days, less functionality, much harder to customize. I think I only had the last install on for an hour before I nuked it.

kidjake28

Nov 30, 2017
I did spin up a version just a last month and although the gui is pretty slick, the opensource is really basic.

Like you've mentioned anything to make this into a really functional system requires payment of their commercial apps (i.e. provisioning, operator panel).

When I called them they quoted me on their hosted offering which was pretty expensive.

smn

Jul 18, 2017
I did spin up a version just a last month and although the gui is pretty slick, the opensource is really basic.

Like you've mentioned anything to make this into a really functional system requires payment of their commercial apps (i.e. provisioning, operator panel).

When I called them they quoted me on their hosted offering which was pretty expensive.

Yes, they want big bucks when compared to doing it yourself which costs nothing other than time and the hosting equipment. I can see how paying to be a reseller might work for some people. However, you're just going to be like every other reseller using the same platform. Except maybe you get to use your own logo. I think they charge extra for that as well.

dougs

Mar 1, 2018
I recently went through a 2 week trial with their hosted offering... It's pretty... but that's about it. I didn't dig to deep into it, but there was no way to set any settings tennant wide, settings kept changing on phones about every 5 minutes without actually changing them, put the 2 Polycom VVX's I added to their tennant into boot loops trying to upgrade and then downgrade the firmware(see previous statement about settings changing randomly, this includes firmware version), nothing worked properly for a solid day after I finally got the phones working again by pulling them back onto my provisioning server and getting them to actually install firmware(they were "upgrading" firmware for over 12 hours from 2600Hz), they were pushing the full "combined" firmware(single package that contains all polycom phone firmware) to each phone which is close to 500MB instead of the split firmware which is just the firmware for the individual model and less than 50MB... needless to say I wasn't really impressed... I started this 2 Fridays ago, that Saturday afternoon was when I got the phones working again and connected to their servers, only outbound calls were working until sometime on that Sunday(could have been inbound but only one way, I don't really remember)... The pricing wasn't actually that awful... it's just that their system didn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.