Many single extension tenants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZIain

Feb 22, 2019
Hi,

The subject may not be an accurate description, but i'm after thoughts/advice on the following:

We have a number of business tenants on our FusionPBX server now, but as residential users are moving away from having a line with the introduction of fibre/sogea we have started picking up them up as well. So what is the recommended way of doing this, i'm assuming creating a tenant for each user/number is going to add a lot of unnecessary overhead. But if they're all in one tenant would their DID/ported number then become their extension? And what inbound/outbound routes etc?

What does everyone else do?

Thanks.

cagriaksu

Feb 23, 2024
In our situation with these type of businesses we simply config their single phone with their own VoIP supplier, and remotely manage the phone itself as a service.

We direct all our customers to our preferred service provider which we are familiar with and they have a great web management interface which the customer can do lots of stuff themselves like checking cdr or costs etc.

Adrian Fretwell

Aug 13, 2017
It's not a great overhead to have one tenant per domain and it could create an opportunity to sell them a second phone - an extension in the lounge and one in the office for example. Or a domestic phone and something like an extension on a Bria app on their mobile phone.

You can put them all in one domain by simply setting up toll_allow for the outbound routes.

At the end of the day, the bit that does all the hard work is FreeSWITCH and FreeSWITCH is very, very flexible.

Jan 9, 2018
We started with sharing one domain for this type of customer, but as Adrian said, if they later add additional service, it’s a hassle. Also some things like call limiting and 911 routing and even user logins are more complicated by this design.
We’re in the process of moving them to individual tenant domains now, as opportunities arise. And any new ones get their own domain.

ZIain

Feb 22, 2019
Thanks for your input guys, it helps. Some of the phone lines I have picked up are really low usage, as in almost never use them, they just don't want to lose the phone number, but primarily use mobiles, and that is what I was thinking of with this question. However, for just the emergency routing alone I think we'll go with having a tenant for each, especially as the overhead is negligible.

DigitalDaz

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 29, 2016
I too was in this position and instead of using fusionpbx and to simplify setup too I just went down the road of building an opensips server to handle it.

We have some 2000 users on it now, its been going well over two years and has never skipped a beat. The server load is next to 0.00 too.

I added a freeswitch in there just to provide voicemail and configured some standard BT shortcodes like 1571 1471, 141 etc.

Reactions: Adrian Fretwell

Adrian Fretwell

Aug 13, 2017
@DigitalDaz That is exactly what we did back in 2016, and it's still running well today. I added a Django GUI wrap around it in 2020. I may eventually publish that on Github.

Status
Not open for further replies.