Proper Order of Configuration Steps

Status
Not open for further replies.

KitchM

Jul 15, 2019
Yours is a perfect example of the problem. You make assumptions based on limited knowledge. This is part of the high priesthood problem.

Do not assume you know how others think unless you see their output. You have not. I have not yet published mine. And even then, your limited knowledge of the end user's language would likely cause you to misunderstand.

All you have seen is questions that develop because of poor documentation. I fix poor documentation and then I share it with others. By so doing, I learn as I go, and while doing that, I am able to translate into the common language of mankind.

If you had done that, there would be hardly any need at all for a forum on the subject. However, neither you nor anyone else has. Such is the sad case of affairs in the computer industry.

While I appreciate your efforts to share your knowledge, please do not assume you are doing it in the correct manner.

KitchM

Jul 15, 2019
@phonesimon , I thank you for that. However, like others here you failed to assume the best. You don't know me and I don't know you. I believe it is rude to demand credentials. I would never do that.

By definition, the high priesthood has always and will always wish to have control of all information. That's just the way it is. Some people are afraid of losing control. Sad but true. Our jobs are to decide upon wish side we stand.

Being a member of FOSS and hating everything Microsoftian, it is our duty to clarify and disseminate widely. When someone has a question it is a fact that something was not made clear enough. Now that is common sense.

My preferred method is the Wikipedia method. There is no need to reinvent the wheel.

Trust is earned. Try me and see.

Kenny Riley

Nov 1, 2017
@phonesimon - You asked who I am previously. I'll answer that for you..I'm the guy calling a spade a spade who isn't afraid to do so. This guy seems to have an extra chromosome and is shitting all over anyone's attempt to help him in several posts. Do you really think people are going to continue to feed into this when these forums are ran and contributed to by volunteers who do so in their own free time? Feel free to defend this retard all you want.

Also, while we're at it.. it's common sense. Delete the wiki. You don't need a wiki if there is adequate documentation readily available that is maintained by the development team. This wasn't always the case in the past, but times have changed and the official documentation on Github is more than adequate. If there is relevant documentation in the wiki that doesn't exist in the Github docs, then Mark should move it over so that the information is all there in one central location and delete the wiki. Confusion solved.

KitchM

Jul 15, 2019
@Kenny Riley , That's just rude. You're doing it again. You even missed the obvious point. If there are questions, it is because something was not clear enough. None of the documentation solves the problem, so you are wrong there as well. It is surprising how closed-minded you are. Your position remains provably wrong.

It does seem as though you are missing a chromosome. You are part of the problem.

DigitalDaz

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 29, 2016
@KitchM You are too new to understand the way things work around here, be blessed and thankful for ANY documentation you see, it has been a long struggle for lots of people. Also bear in mind, no one is trying to sell you anything here, if you don't like what you see, move on. The history of this project is long and it started as a simple GUI for manipulating Freeswitch xml files. From the outset it was never meant for novices. Over the last 10 years the skillset of the end users have just become less and less this is as a result of it becoming easier an easier to install along with an improving set of documentation. FusionPBX is a multitenant system mainly used by service providers. Us providers NEED a good understanding of Freeswitch in order to troubleshoot etc. It will be a long time before there is highly polished documentation but if I don't know how something works I'll dig into the code.

KitchM

Jul 15, 2019
@DigitalDaz I appreciate that sentiment. And I appreciate knowing something of the history of the project. Once again, good to know.

As the skill set requirements are lessened, let us find ways to make using the product even easier.

I had a feeling that you were a VAR-type. A worthy and extremely useful service for those who do not want to do it themselves. It is understood that you make money doing what you do and using the knowledge you have gained. And you are not required in any way to share that if you do not so choose. It never was a requirement, nor should it be. I respect that.

My lot in life it to server others. To do so, I attempt to gather knowledge and share it. But that's just me.

So, if everyone is done bickering, let's move forward.

KitchM

Jul 15, 2019
@phonesimon , Do you understand the difference between Linux and Windows? How long have you worked in the Windows arena? I am not looking for credentials. Rather, these are good questions to ask yourself.

If you were to ask me, I would love to tell you of the billions of dollars of lost productivity that Microsoft has caused. But that is a very long story.

KitchM

Jul 15, 2019
I most certainly am not kidding. I simply responded to a comment you made. Didn't you wish to allow that? Then don't make the comment.

It is amazing that mine is a "color" commentary, but yours isn't. Talk about closed minded.

Why can't people just stop the damn bickering?

phonesimon

Apr 21, 2017
I removed my commentary from this thread.

when you have actual thoughtful questions about the software, please ask.

KitchM

Jul 15, 2019
Okay, as you wish but not requested. Moving on.

Please explain a little better why the assumption was that incoming calls were easier to configure and even somewhat more automatic than outgoing calls, based on the supplied video. I find it just the opposite, before you ask.

phonesimon

Apr 21, 2017
Please explain a little better why the assumption was that incoming calls were easier to configure and even somewhat more automatic than outgoing calls, based on the supplied video. I find it just the opposite, before you ask.

I don't see a major difference in complexity. They are just different functions altogether. Best to keep them separate in your mind.

KitchM

Jul 15, 2019
Well, that's what I thought, but I got a different viewpoint from the video. I guess then that it is best to forget that.

All the steps shown worked quite well. My test bed was up and running quickly and actually quite easily. Which is what I'm attempting to do.

However, the incoming calls just do not route thru to the extensions. It may be that I have a flow issue and it is blocked somewhere or left disconnected from a further necessary step. I will muddle on.

As an aside, I will note that the novice will say that it is odd that a connection can be made in one direction but not the other, and I can sympathise with that. However, I know that incoming and outgoing are handled separately in the PBX and therefore lies the issue.

KitchM

Jul 15, 2019
I like to visualize it as a series of pipes, connected from here to there and from there to here. Another is the old operator switchboard where the operator pulled a cable and plugged it in somewhere to complete a connection. I assume most of you are too young to know about that. :)

phonesimon

Apr 21, 2017
I like to visualize it as a series of pipes, connected from here to there and from there to here. Another is the old operator switchboard where the operator pulled a cable and plugged it in somewhere to complete a connection. I assume most of you are too young to know about that. :)

Would you use the same analogy to describe a web server? Because a SIP PBX is much more like a web server than a set of analog circuits or pipes.

Consider a web server listening on the internet for requests. An HTTP GET request comes in with the path "/about" so the web server looks through its configuration, finds out what to return to the browser for the "/about" path, and sends them the correct HTML (oversimplified).

A SIP PBX listens on the internet for requests. A SIP INVITE request comes in with URI "sip:+18005551212@example.com" so the SIP server looks through its configuration, finds out how to route the request ("this is an auto attendant so I perform these steps") and returns information -- signaling and media -- to the caller.

Similarly, for both a web server and a SIP PBX, if a request comes in that the server doesn't have information about, a response is returned saying as much (404 "Not found" is a possible response in both cases).

This does not seem like pipes or circuits but more like the idea of a service desk where anyone can walk in off the street and make requests.

Reactions: mat1010

KitchM

Jul 15, 2019
A very interesting and usable visualization. Especially for people familiar with a web server.

Status
Not open for further replies.