Public Service Announcement: Message service may lead to increased CPU utilization

ardyhash

Jan 7, 2021
Hello world,

Thought I'd post these here as a future note to self and hopefully anyone else who finds themselves in the situation where their CPU utilization is off the charts for no obvious reason. The last time this happened I was experimenting with the messaging service so I knew what changed and rolled back to mitigate, this time I wasn't aware of the service being turned on so it took embarrassingly longer to identify the culprit. The charts below show CPU idle rates with and without the service enabled, the gaps are from either disabling monitoring as a troubleshooting step or signify jumping between different instances in attempts to rule out the issue. (those drops to 0 are during heavy workloads of backup/archiving everything). Despite the CPU being pegged the whole time the service was running we still managed ~50 registrations and a peak of 17 concurrent calls, but not without complaints of poor call quality and failed registration attempts! This happened on both Debian 11 and Debian 12 running Fusion 5.2.

1714132501138.png1714132531930.png

Reactions: voipBull