Softphone recommendation

mevans1974

Jan 23, 2022
Hi All,
I'm looking for softphone recommendation for Fusionpbx

I love Groundwire but they would not allow me to buy in bulk. If there was a way for me to purchases it for the users that would have work great.

Adrian Fretwell

Aug 13, 2017
The recommendation may deffer depending on the platform on which you intend to run the softphone.

For the PC/Workstation Saraphone is a nice option. https://github.com/gmaruzz/saraphone

For the mobile, I have used both Zoiper and Bria, with no issues. Not used it for a long time but Zoiper has an OEM portal that allows provision via a FusionPBX application. I currently use Bria.

To use any softphone reliably on a mobile phone you will need to use a push service.

mevans1974

Jan 23, 2022
@Adrian Thanks for your input That's why I like Groundwire it has push service. The only issue I have with them is i can't purchases it in bulk so I can't push it to my users.

cagriaksu

Feb 23, 2024
Personally I'm using MicroSip on PC's and Sipnetic on Android, and I'm happy with both of them, they both work very good with FusionPBX

mcs3ss2

Sep 8, 2020
AU
I use ringotel. Been using it for a while. SUbscription model but never had any issue.

RTL

Jan 26, 2024
I like Ringotel too. Provisioning is straightforward and although it is a subscription model the costs are tiny

babak

Dec 4, 2016
The recommendation may deffer depending on the platform on which you intend to run the softphone.

For the PC/Workstation Saraphone is a nice option. https://github.com/gmaruzz/saraphone

For the mobile, I have used both Zoiper and Bria, with no issues. Not used it for a long time but Zoiper has an OEM portal that allows provision via a FusionPBX application. I currently use Bria.

To use any softphone reliably on a mobile phone you will need to use a push service.
Hi @Adrian Fretwell
In Saraphone github page has mentioned "Desktop Notification for Incoming Calls" do you know how to use it ?

Regards

ardyhash

Jan 7, 2021
Hi @Adrian Fretwell
In Saraphone github page has mentioned "Desktop Notification for Incoming Calls" do you know how to use it ?

Regards
You simply click the button on the very bottom, then allow notifications when your browser prompts you, then incoming calls will pop notifications through the browser.

1710692563863.png

babak

Dec 4, 2016
You simply click the button on the very bottom, then allow notifications when your browser prompts you, then incoming calls will pop notifications through the browser.

View attachment 3938
Hi @ardyhash
Thank you for reply.
I am interested in Push notification for incoming call when Android phone is in sleep mode. There are some solutions (also mentioned in this forum) by compiling custom Android soft phone.
Google chrome has capability to turn on android phone even not running and even in sleep mode with push notification. I am seeking solution for using Saraphone on chrome with enabled push notification.

Regards

Last edited:

ardyhash

Jan 7, 2021
Just a hunch, but if your target platform is mobile a browser based phone may not be worth the effort. The below is from Microsoft's Copilot and feels okay, but do be warned that copilot has given me some nonsensical and absolutely bananas answers before:

Certainly! Let’s explore how web push notifications work on mobile devices, especially when the phone is not actively in use:

1. Web Push Notifications on Mobile Devices:
    • Web push notifications are a widespread and effective communication channel used by more than eight percent of top websites.
    • These messages allow websites to reach users with timely and personalized alerts even after they’ve left the website.
    • Web push notifications are displayed on a visitor’s desktop, tablet, or mobile device when they have their web browser open.
    • When a user clicks on a web push notification, they are sent to a URL defined by the company.
    • On mobile devices, these notifications appear similarly to desktop notifications.
  2. Mobile Push Notifications vs. Web Push Notifications:
    • Mobile push notifications take a different path to delivery:
      • They are sent directly to a device’s operating system (iOS, Android).
      • They are contingent on your company having a mobile application.
      • Unlike web push notifications, which are seen only by users currently active on the device, mobile push notifications can appear on a user’s lock screen regardless of their activity.
      • They are critical for reengaging users who may be engaged with other activities.
  3. Opt-In Permission:
    • The web push channel is supported by Android and iOS devices.
    • Some browsers that currently support mobile push notifications include Chrome, Firefox, and others.
    • The protocol for subscribing to mobile web push is similar to desktop web push, with minor differences in custom permission prompts and native browser permission displays.
  4. Sending Web Notifications:
    • Companies must integrate with a web push service to send these messages.
    • Popular browsers like Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Edge, and Opera support sending web push notifications.
    • Appearance of web push notifications may vary across browsers.
In summary, web push notifications can reach users on mobile devices, but they rely on the user’s browser being open. Mobile push notifications, on the other hand, can appear even when the app is not actively running, making them valuable for reengagement.

babak

Dec 4, 2016
Just a hunch, but if your target platform is mobile a browser based phone may not be worth the effort. The below is from Microsoft's Copilot and feels okay, but do be warned that copilot has given me some nonsensical and absolutely bananas answers before:

Certainly! Let’s explore how web push notifications work on mobile devices, especially when the phone is not actively in use:

1. Web Push Notifications on Mobile Devices:
    • Web push notifications are a widespread and effective communication channel used by more than eight percent of top websites.
    • These messages allow websites to reach users with timely and personalized alerts even after they’ve left the website.
    • Web push notifications are displayed on a visitor’s desktop, tablet, or mobile device when they have their web browser open.
    • When a user clicks on a web push notification, they are sent to a URL defined by the company.
    • On mobile devices, these notifications appear similarly to desktop notifications.
  2. Mobile Push Notifications vs. Web Push Notifications:
    • Mobile push notifications take a different path to delivery:
      • They are sent directly to a device’s operating system (iOS, Android).
      • They are contingent on your company having a mobile application.
      • Unlike web push notifications, which are seen only by users currently active on the device, mobile push notifications can appear on a user’s lock screen regardless of their activity.
      • They are critical for reengaging users who may be engaged with other activities.
  3. Opt-In Permission:
    • The web push channel is supported by Android and iOS devices.
    • Some browsers that currently support mobile push notifications include Chrome, Firefox, and others.
    • The protocol for subscribing to mobile web push is similar to desktop web push, with minor differences in custom permission prompts and native browser permission displays.
  4. Sending Web Notifications:
    • Companies must integrate with a web push service to send these messages.
    • Popular browsers like Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Edge, and Opera support sending web push notifications.
    • Appearance of web push notifications may vary across browsers.
In summary, web push notifications can reach users on mobile devices, but they rely on the user’s browser being open. Mobile push notifications, on the other hand, can appear even when the app is not actively running, making them valuable for reengagement.
Hi
Please check this page:
https://developer.chrome.com/blog/push-notifications-on-the-open-web

What are the limitations of push messaging in Chrome?​

• Chrome on desktop has the caveat that if Chrome isn't running, push messages won't be received. This differs from ChromeOS and Android where push messages will always be received.

Regards

ardyhash

Jan 7, 2021
Read it, didn’t change my mind. The effort required to make it work isn’t worth it because:
1) that only applies to a subset of devices
2) you’re at the mercy Google continuing to support the mechanism, but its a gamble

sip predates smartphones by quite a bit, mobile battery/energy efficiency over the air likely wasn't part of the initial design specs.

the only energy efficient way to handle a web based always available client is to use a middleman server that acts almost like a proxy with push capabilities, this could run on the same box as the PBX, but it’s a can of worms I’m personally not interested in opening.

hfoster

Jan 28, 2019
I am interested in Push notification for incoming call when Android phone is in sleep mode.
You 100% NEED to use Google Firebase or Apple Push Notification Service for iOS, and you also need to have a proxy hosted online that wakes the phones using Firebase/APNS to tell the phone to re-register for the SIP INVITE that is about to be sent to the phone. This reason is why the only reliable Android/iOS phones are paid for. There is a constant on-going cost with hosting them.

The alternative to this is keeping the app constantly awake and in the foreground with a persistent notification, but your battery will go to 0% super fast.

mcs3ss2

Sep 8, 2020
AU
Just go with ringotel, you cannot go wrong, I have been using it for a while, love it, no hassell

Reactions: s2svoip

gflow

Aug 25, 2019
I have integrated Acrobits Cloud Softphone into FusionPBX device provisioning. So you configure an Acrobits softphone the same way you would with a physical phone (including speed dials, BLF etc.) You can also enter the users email address and send them out a QR code for softphone provisioning. I have also integrated the FusionPBX contacts directory with Acrobits.

With Ringotel you can do most of that but the only thing that turned me off ringotel is that is has too many features alot going on in the GUI it confused some clients whereas Acrobits is more simple and gives more control to add custom features if you are a developer.