Debian install issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

phonesimon

Apr 21, 2017
Changing all the "#!/bin/sh" in the install scripts to "#!/bin/sh -e" allows the installer to stop whenever an error is encountered. But this ended up being unhelpful because the author assumed some of the commands would fail such as rm'ing non-existent directories (in case they did exist) and so the scripts keep on stopping but not leading me to the real problem. So anyway this is a huge pain to debug and I'm not going to bother. Sure wish there were install instructions other than "run the script."

phonesimon

Apr 21, 2017
I changed my mind. Stepping through the installer and running it line by line resulted in a good installation. I do not know where the failure was with the script. I recommend some error handling and idempotency for the installer. Having the install fail and finding no sensible way to restart it other than by re-imaging the VM was frustrating.

hfoster

Jan 28, 2019
Yeh, I personally wanted an Ansible playbook to install the server to be honest.

markjcrane

Staff member
Jul 22, 2018
The install is actually built in components which makes it easy to re-run specific parts of the install.

I defaulted the install to compile because of the package token that is now required. The install script can use it. I've been running test installs of Debian 11 about relatively often. But keep in mind some installs might be in a container and behave differently then full virtualization which acts more like bare metal. I'll do another test install soon to see if I can get it to fail. It seems to take testing in many different environments as working on one server doesn't mean it will work on all others.

Note: Debian 11 currently requires reboot after the install. Added this to the instruction in the script encouraging people to restart. In the future hope to resolve that issue as well as the prompt for are you sure you want to use iptables message.

Status
Not open for further replies.