ext-sip-ip / ext-rtp-ip internal vs external

Status
Not open for further replies.

s2svoip

Dec 9, 2019
Odd question and I hope this is not silly, but I was wondering with a cloud deployment of fusion - if you have 2 handsets in the same local subnet, and they both connect to the external cloud PBX - not via a VPN or anything. direct to its external IP/hostname, once the call is setup does fusion tell the handsets to connect using their internal IPs or does the call go out to the PBX and then back in to the other handset - my understanding is everything goes out and back from fusion, but I just wanted to confirm

does it depend on if / how you set the internal / external ext-sip-ip ext-rtp-ip values ?

ad5ou

Jun 12, 2018
In a “cloud” based Fusionpbx install, your internal and external IP addresses would the same unless you have additional interfaces or are on something like AWS where the server is behind NAT.

Two endpoints will communicate all traffic through the Fusionpbx server by default even if they are on the same LAN as each other.

A dial plan can be added/edited to alter that behavior if the endpoints are determined to be on same network but I haven’t tried it in production.

Reactions: s2svoip

s2svoip

Dec 9, 2019
I see, interesting. I was once setting up ACL rules on a cisco switch for vlan separation and with an Avaya IP office system, the pbx initiates the call but then the handsets establish direct communication with each other, I dont believe this was a SIP system. so I assume SIP / Freeswitch would do the same. would definitely be a good feature to have but I guess its alot more work for handsets to figure out they are on the same subnet and can talk locally - routing everything via the PBX ensures it will always work

DigitalDaz

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 29, 2016
The other thing of course is recording, if the media server isn't in the path, it can't record.

s2svoip

Dec 9, 2019
good point, Did not think about that at all.

my thought process was along the lines of implementing a hosted system in a limited external bandwidth environment, so only external calls go out on the internet link

leandrodes87

Mar 24, 2020
uS2svoip
This facility to RTP (Midia) direct between extensions, in Avaya is direct midia, and in fusion pbx 4.5 have, you see in extensions "SIP Bypass Media"

s2svoip

Dec 9, 2019
uS2svoip
This facility to RTP (Midia) direct between extensions, in Avaya is direct midia, and in fusion pbx 4.5 have, you see in extensions "SIP Bypass Media"

now that is interesting, I need to give this some testing - could be useful in low bandwidth deployments so that internal calls are not routed over the internet

leandrodes87

Mar 24, 2020
yes,

but not only when low bandwidth, think with this you not congestion your link in internal calls, being one tenant or multi tenant, you be optimizing your internet.

s2svoip

Dec 9, 2019
Nice find with that setting. So I did some testing and the setting is either on to bypass or off right, so it dosent figure out they are on the same network, it relys on that setting. so if you turn it on, but have a device that is not in the same network then the audio fails

what would be an easy way to see if its working, it relys of the PBX to start the call, but then I guess if i were to yank the internet the call should still stay up ?

Alocaurd

Jun 25, 2019
Nice find with that setting. So I did some testing and the setting is either on to bypass or off right, so it dosent figure out they are on the same network, it relys on that setting. so if you turn it on, but have a device that is not in the same network then the audio fails

what would be an easy way to see if its working, it relys of the PBX to start the call, but then I guess if i were to yank the internet the call should still stay up ?

Did you ever go any further with this?

I know someone on here had a custom script to figure out if they're on the same LAN or not, but its not something i've played with myself. I just come across an opportunity with a customer with a large number of phones, but the majority of their calling is internal. They also have somewhat slow internet, so trying to route all those internal calls over the WAN doesn't make much sense. I know 3CX offers the option to install an "SBC" internally for customers to route that traffic, im not sure if a small piece of hardware with fusion could be set up to do the same.

s2svoip

Dec 9, 2019
Did you ever go any further with this?

I know someone on here had a custom script to figure out if they're on the same LAN or not, but its not something i've played with myself. I just come across an opportunity with a customer with a large number of phones, but the majority of their calling is internal. They also have somewhat slow internet, so trying to route all those internal calls over the WAN doesn't make much sense. I know 3CX offers the option to install an "SBC" internally for customers to route that traffic, im not sure if a small piece of hardware with fusion could be set up to do the same.

Yep it relies on the setting, then will try and establish a direct connection, as a quick and dirty test I started a call with the setting on and then disabled my internet and the call stayed up, so it works just fine. I did not implement the setting in a live environment, but cant see why it would not work

Status
Not open for further replies.