Fail Over

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew Main

Jan 24, 2017
Hi Guys,

Had an interesting one a few days ago and trying to work out if having a cluster is really needed.

I had a friends server fall over due to disk full, I do not maintain it, he wont pay for it so i just fix it when it breaks, the database crashed, but the phones did not fail over, i can only guess that the phones could still see the soft switch and there for did not think they needed to move.

I can have a vm restored in a matter of min, so do i need a cluster?

Kr

Matt

DigitalDaz

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 29, 2016
What about when you have 100GB of recordings, how fast can you restore it then? ;)

Reactions: tag915

Kenny Riley

Nov 1, 2017
If you use smart DNS and set your registration timers for your endpoints to 120 seconds -- phones will start to fail over within seconds, up to 2 minutes if the primary node becomes unreachable.

I highly doubt you will be able to restore a VM that quickly.. especially if you have a good amount of call recordings as Daz mentioned...so, it really just depends on how much downtime you can tolerate as to whether or not you need a cluster in place.

Reactions: tag915

markjcrane

Staff member
Jul 22, 2018
It depends on how long a downtime is considered acceptable. The least downtime requires a cluster.

Status
Not open for further replies.