Free IBM Voice Prompts for FusionPBX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 11, 2018
I was trying to follow the tutorial and could not match up the credentials provided by IBM Cloud. It doesn't seem to create a user and password, but instead creates an API key and it looks like the URL has changed as well. Did I miss something, or did IBM change something? I would like to get this working.

UPDATE ---
For anyone else that finds this. I was able to get this working. Set the username to "apikey" and the password to your IBM Cloud API key.

Last edited:

Dan

Jul 23, 2017
We've documented the procedure to implement free IBM voice prompts for use with FusionPBX.

Tutorial available here: http://nerdvittles.com/?p=26899

Is there a reason to use Text to Speech from IBM instead of Mozilla's TTS? On another tangent, why the split between doing the API call in PHP, calling to shell to do the transcoding (from PHP), then having an entirely separate bash script to move the file? This seems poorly designed for what is 3 simple commands (in bash), though if your going to do it in PHP, its odd not to just expose it as a FusionPBX app with a simple UI. Just seems needlessly complicated :c

Additionally, are you referencing GPLv2 where your comments in both the PHP file and bash script refer to "the GPL2 license"? Looks like the COPYING file contains both the GPLv2 and MIT License with reference to some random weather API company at the beginning of the MIT license. Take a look at the GPL How To (specifically the License Notice section), they have a decent guide on how to add license headers and such in files.

NerdUno

Sep 4, 2018
I was trying to follow the tutorial and could not match up the credentials provided by IBM Cloud. It doesn't seem to create a user and password, but instead creates an API key and it looks like the URL has changed as well. Did I miss something, or did IBM change something? I would like to get this working.

UPDATE ---
For anyone else that finds this. I was able to get this working. Set the username to "apikey" and the password to your IBM Cloud API key.

IBM shifted gears on their pricing and credentials after our article was published. It has since been amended: http://nerdvittles.com/?p=25136

NerdUno

Sep 4, 2018
Is there a reason to use Text to Speech from IBM instead of Mozilla's TTS?

If you listen to both the IBM TTS and Mozilla TTS sample recordings, I think the answer is pretty obvious.

Additionally, are you referencing GPLv2 where your comments in both the PHP file and bash script refer to "the GPL2 license"?

I think most folks here are sufficiently intelligent to figure out that GPLv2 and GPL2 are one and the same. :rolleyes:

Dan

Jul 23, 2017
If you listen to both the IBM TTS and Mozilla TTS sample recordings, I think the answer is pretty obvious.

I beg to differ, listening to IBM's TTS demo it sounds like they're clipping the end of many words, and the tone is inconsistent. This word clipping doesn't appear to be an issue for Mozilla TTS, and the tone is fairly consistent, less jarring to listen to than the results of IBM's TTS.

I think most folks here are sufficiently intelligent to figure out that GPLv2 and GPL2 are one and the same. :rolleyes:

Did you look at the COPYING file? It contains GPLv2 and the MIT license, plus a copyright notice for some random company that is unrelated to Ward. Being presumptuous about licensing and copyright has landed people in hot water before, best to wait till Ward corrects it to match his intent.

Reactions: Starblazer

Starblazer

Nov 3, 2018
I beg to differ, listening to IBM's TTS demo it sounds like they're clipping the end of many words, and the tone is inconsistent. This word clipping doesn't appear to be an issue for Mozilla TTS, and the tone is fairly consistent, less jarring to listen to than the results of IBM's TTS.

Agreed. I listened to all the versions of the IBM TTS and even my grandparents would know that it was a TTS, the Mozilla TTS sounded more natural, with the exception of one clip where it couldn't pronounce 'aren't' correctly.

NerdUno

Sep 4, 2018
Did you look at the COPYING file? It contains GPLv2 and the MIT license, plus a copyright notice for some random company that is unrelated to Ward. Being presumptuous about licensing and copyright has landed people in hot water before, best to wait till Ward corrects it to match his intent.

I did look at the COPYING file. In fact, I wrote it. I don't suppose you actually read the tutorial?? If you had, you would understand why the MIT license is also included. The worldwide weather app uses a source ("some random company" as you put it) that licenses content under the MIT license. Take the barbs about hot water elsewhere. If you don't like the licensing terms, don't use the software. Simple as that.

Dan

Jul 23, 2017
I don't suppose you actually read the tutorial??
I read the tutorial.
The worldwide weather app uses a source ("some random company" as you put it) that licenses content under the MIT license.
Your code in ibmprompt-fusion.tar.gz doesn't use that weather API though...
Take the barbs about hot water elsewhere. If you don't like the licensing terms, don't use the software. Simple as that.
All I'm asking for is for some basic cleanup of minor misspellings, not trying to upset you!

Status
Not open for further replies.