Hotdesking

Status
Not open for further replies.

markjcrane

Staff member
Jul 22, 2018
Relations
What often kills marriages or other relationships is when one or more people decide to view the other person negatively. When that happens it is difficult to turn around. If someone tries to do something good, or say they are sorry that action is seen with automatic suspicion and distrust. There can be many many other positive actions but they keep getting seen negatively. Its amazes me how almost anything can be turned into a negative. This is happening to some extent here and was happening some in Github issues. The negativity was getting me down.

Hot Desking
Actually its pretty easy.
Not knowing who you are I don't know when you took the class. New method has existed for around 3 years maybe longer.
It gets taught when asked and has been a part of most Admin Training classes in 2018.

Bugs
Its ironic the louder the complaints have been by a few people the more I worked on them. But the more I worked on them the louder the complainers complained as if nothing was being done about it. Large amounts of time have been spent on bugs despite what has been said to the contrary.

Report bugs
Github issues was turned off because it was being abused. People were using it for support not bugs and they were bashing me and others while trying to help them. Bugs are still being reported on IRC, on this forum, in email, reported in Continuing Education, over private chat and other forms of communication. and guess what we fix the ones that we find during quality control testing, and our own use of the software. Bugs are still being reported and they still being fixed. PostgreSQL isn't using github issues and neither is FreeSWITCH. PostgreSQL bugs are sent to an email address and yet PostgreSQL is very high quality.

Pull Requests
Quite a few of these have actually been accepted. Some of them have been very good. Many pull requests have actually had their own bugs and many take extra work to get them consistent with the rest of the project. There was a time I started accepting almost all pull requests as I did this the bug reports climbed. Many of these actually showed that the developer who shared them never tested the code. When this happens people blame me for the problem. So I do review the code changes and I have to spend time on the changes to understand them and make sure they don't have bugs or causes regression(s).

Perfect?
I known am not perfect. For those expecting perfection are you perfect? Yes sometimes the squirrel problem with a distraction. I'm sorry about this I'm interested in many things and sometimes that can lead off topic. I'm working on doing better in that regard and other areas as well.

Case sensitive search
You probably meant case insensitive searching so that the case doesn't hide the result you are looking for. I'm not against this. I just tested Destinations, Contacts, Streams, Bridges, IVR Menus, Ring Groups all have case case insensitive search. I found a few where case insensitive searching didn't work and then I fixed them. these include Domains, Extensions, Dialplans, and Users. So complaint on this was likely a misunderstanding of my comment about it. If you want to push that further show me the pull request you are referring to.

Rejecting Documentation
Documentation source is found here https://github.com/fusionpbx/fusionpbx-docs and formatted here https://docs.fusionpbx.com.
Actually there is only a few people helping with documentation. 26 total over the life of the documentation. Look at the pull requests are you seeing a lot of them rejected? https://github.com/fusionpbx/fusionpbx-docs/pulls?q=is:pr+is:closed Notice it says only a 158 that's not a lot of pull requests. There is very few people helping with documentation. Is it hard to add to the documentation? Not really you just need a github account find a page click edit and start adding then save it as a pull request this can be done without knowing anything to do with GIT. We have instructions on github own how to contribute to documentation and there is a video on how to do it in https://youtube.com/fusionpbx.

An Open-Letter to Open-Source - 4 April 2017 written by Steve Domino
https://content.nanobox.io/an-open-letter-to-open-source/

This Forum
This is an unofficial forum. I haven't had time to make an Official Forum instead I used my time currently, helping people, fixing many bugs and improving FusionPBX to make an official forum. However, If you really have watched this forum in the past couple months you will see that I have been helping here currently 64 messages. I was hesitant especially at first because of the negativity used against me in some of the posts. Had people been kinder I would have helped more here in this forum sooner. Regardless I worked almost every day making FusionPBX better... I have been doing this for about 10 years or more.

Helping you or others with support
Support and help is given to someone almost every day sometimes paid work and sometimes free. And still work is being done fixing bugs, working on security improvements, polishing. This is a big project with a lot of people that want or need help. As this happens some are competing for my time using negative tactics and others are using positive. There are some people helping but resources don't meet the demands currently. So complain more and help make it worse or stop complaining and stop opposing things that are helping to make it better. Or volunteer to help or reciprocate in some way that help us to help you.

For those that want support go to https://www.fusionpbx.com and click on support there is a phone number listed there for support or email support@fusionpbx.com. Sorry not always available... so have to be patient and and try again. Limited project resources have consequences but progress is being made to change and improve this.

Last edited:
Reactions: tag915 and brb5548

DigitalDaz

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 29, 2016
Despite being one of mcrane's biggest critics and still completely disagreeing with the method he has chosen to raise revenue, I know his intentions are good. I gave it a fairly decent shot the other day at trying to convince him to chuck the towel in on the open source and actually releasing a commercial version going forward which he refuses to do because he wants to give it to you guys.

Though we all often disagree we have to remember we all probably have a common goal and that is the success of FusionPBX. We already have the best GUI for FreeSwitch and it continues to get better and better.

Reactions: brb5548

Frank

Dec 28, 2016
I am quite satisfied with Fusionpbx and would gladly pay for a supported version. Mark has done a great job. Can some things be improved. Of course they can. Let's all be patient, in the long run we all win. As far as support, I was lucky to find someone that not only knows Fusionpbx but is also an expert with Freeswitch and he has been able to help me overcome any issues I have had. Keep up the good work Mark!!

Reactions: brb5548 and yukon

tag915

Sep 24, 2018
There is no perfect world and yes, always room for improvement.

I can say 100%, Mark has been very helpful. He has a real heart for community and has done everything to make sure the project is given without limitation. He takes extreme pride in the project and yes that results in him coming across as picky but as many have said, this is the best GUI for Freeswitch (because of that). Remember "Open source" doesn't mean free. Development is extremely expensive and valuable. If everyone contributed 10% back to a project based on what they make or save, financing would not be an issue. However most think that because something didn’t cost them then they shouldn’t have to pay vary much for anything related to it. Try getting advanced training from CISCO or Avaya for under $1,000. How many of you have donated without requiring anything back? Yes, you offer to pay for help and that is great but how about doing just to help. I’ve very thankful to Mark and all the open source community for making solutions available that previously would be out of reach for most people.

And for everyone out there saying they are afraid of the project failing if Mark no longer contributes. The main reason I love open source is that I’m not dependent on the developer. If they stop I can always pickup and continue developing or pay someone for it. What happens if 3CX goes out of business? One big thing I give Mark credit for is the nonrestrictive licensing of the project.

Mark, don’t get discouraged and regardless of what people might say, believe me, they are all very thankful for your hard work.

Thank you to all the people that have contributed and given their time and/or money, free of expectation. That includes this unofficial forum!

Reactions: bcmike

Frank

Dec 28, 2016
I agree with Tag915. People who use Fusionpbx for commercial use should contribute back to the project. Taking the course is one way. I would like a way to be able to pay for the development of specialized Apps, customized deployment or Premium support. The question is would Mark be able to handle the load.

I live in Canada where companies can claim tax credits for development and would be open to discussions with Mark.

Last edited:

markjcrane

Staff member
Jul 22, 2018
elderlogan - I don't know your contact information your name, email address, or phone number. Send me an email and reveal your username is elderlogan or a private message somehow send me contact information.

Last edited:

elderlogan

Nov 9, 2018
elderlogan - I don't know your contact information your name, email address, or phone number. Send me an email and reveal your username is elderlogan or a private message somehow send me contact information.
I’ve emailed you as Luigi previously on support@fusionpbx.com. You replied on my issue and then completely ignored the rest. Phone is not an option I’m from Italy. I’ve also replied to you in that same mail thread renewing my request for paid support.

Reactions: yukon
Status
Not open for further replies.