Multi Tenant setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

i3ioi-iazard

Mar 14, 2018
Looks like I have gotten my fusionpbx going how I want it and now id like to test out the multi tenant function.

Right now i have extension 100 set up on my test phone under the IP of the PBX. In this case there is no real trickery. Register and Username is just the extension along with the password which is set under fusion. Under SIP server, i just point it to the ip of my server.

How do I program a second tenant?

I have the same extension 100 programmed into the second tenant called secondtenant.com. I tried doing 100@secondtenant.com under register and username along with the password set in fusionpbx for that extension with no luck. For the SIP server field I pointed to the IP of my PBX.

What am i doing wrong?

DigitalDaz

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 29, 2016
No, in the username just put 100 and in the sip server put secondtenant.com.

In reality what you really want is a domain like mypbx.com, then have tenant1.mypbx.com, tenant2.mypbx.com etc.

If they are not real domains names, for testing, put the IP of the server in the outbound proxy settings of the phone.

i3ioi-iazard

Mar 14, 2018
All of my clients will be managed by me so they will not have any login. The reason i am using multi tenant is so its easy to manage for myself in one portal and not so much for the client to be able to log in. There are some clients that I have that do not have a website. What would be the best way to deal with them then? If i go the mypbx.com, then have tenant1.mypbx.com, tenant2.mypbx.com etc. does that mean i have to set A records for each client? Is there another way to do what I am trying to do?

No, in the username just put 100 and in the sip server put secondtenant.com.

In reality what you really want is a domain like mypbx.com, then have tenant1.mypbx.com, tenant2.mypbx.com etc.

If they are not real domains names, for testing, put the IP of the server in the outbound proxy settings of the phone.

DigitalDaz

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 29, 2016
The easiest by far is the way I have said and use A records.

smn

Jul 18, 2017
If i go the mypbx.com, then have tenant1.mypbx.com, tenant2.mypbx.com etc. does that mean i have to set A records for each client? Is there another way to do what I am trying to do?

If subdomains are not the same IP as the root domain then you can create a wild card ("*") A record. All subdomains that do not have their own A record will go to that IP. If the root domain is the same IP then you don't have to do anything because it does that by default.

I usually don't use the same IP for root domain so my domains are like:

AwesomePbxService.com > Has it's own A record pointing at my super awesome website

mystuff.AwesomePbxService.com > Has it's own A record to my webtools or whatever

*.AwesomePbxService.com > Wildcard A record pointing at my PBX server

And my tenants on the PBX would be

tenant1.AwesomPbxService.com
tenant2.AwesomePbxService.com
etc.

Last edited:

DigitalDaz

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 29, 2016
That's OK but you can pick up a lot of crap too. How difficult is it to create an A record?

smn

Jul 18, 2017
I don't see much evidence that wildcard causes more garbage traffic. Vast majority of garbage traffic seems to target IP addresses not domain names.

Wildcard makes it easier. Just create the tenant on the pbx and you are done. No waiting for DNS to propagate. Nothing stopping you from doing both.

There is usually a limit to how many A records you can have. I think Godaddy is about 100. That's probably enough for most people but with wildcard there is no limit to how many subdomains you can have.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.