Opus Codec Quality vs G711

Status
Not open for further replies.

gflow

Aug 25, 2019
Hey Guys,

I've been testing the Opus codec using the recommended settings from the Freeswitch wiki. My test environment consists of a Bria Enterprise softphone (with Opus support). I was hoping/expecting with the Opus codec I could get call quality similar to Microsoft Teams when in an environment with poor internet quality (ie. some home users). A common complaint I get is that Bria (with G711) is poor quality while their home WhatsApp or Microsoft Teams is perfect. On my test laptop a MacBook with the app "Network Link Conditioner" I can simulate latency and packet loss. When I enable very poor network conditions I can barely tell the difference between Opus and Teams. Does anybody have much experience with setting up the Opus codec, I have read but don't understand that we should enable a jitter buffer in the Freeswitch dialplan while others say we shouldnt do that and the softphone's should take care of that. I'd be interested to hear anybody's experience with this.

Dan

Jul 23, 2017
Make sure to implement a Jitter buffer on the SIP profile in question so that Opus's Forward Error Correction can be used by Freeswitch. You can also adjust the level of FEC sent to the SIP client from Freeswitch as well, along with perhaps reducing Opus to 8000hz and similar optimizations to decrease needless transcoding load while also using less data.

Status
Not open for further replies.