Single Extension with Multiple Endpoints

Status
Not open for further replies.

tfernandez

Oct 31, 2019
Hi All,

I am hoping to get your wise advise on the best way to get a desk phone and a mobile app (Zoiper or GS Wave doesn't matter) to both ring at the same time.

What I've done so far is give each device a separate extension and use Call Routing>Follow Me to ring both extensions. I've also configured both extensions to send out the same extension number so that when extension 101 makes a call it will appear as extension 100.

Is this a correct way to do things? I was wondering if it would be better to have both devices register to the same extension number.

Thank you in advance!!!

ad5ou

Jun 12, 2018
What is "best" often depends on the scenario and/or user.
Your method will work quite well and in some ways might be "better" than using multiple registrations.

Reactions: tfernandez

tfernandez

Oct 31, 2019
@ad5ou Thanks for your response. I'm hoping to have the experience seem as seamless as possible. I want the two devices to appear to the end user as one. What method do you use in this scenario?

ad5ou

Jun 12, 2018
I have used multiple extensions with follow-me as well as multiple registrations for a single extension.

About the only benefit to using multiple registrations I have found in practice is voicemail notification/access is simpler with a single extension.

Reactions: tfernandez

tfernandez

Oct 31, 2019
@ad5ou have you had any other issues with multiple registration such as only one of the endpoints actually receiving the call?

tfernandez

Oct 31, 2019
@ad5ou thank you so much, I had no idea about using the multiple_registrations setting :) I'll start to test with that. I really appreciate your responses!

franklin1

Jul 12, 2020
I do it the way ad5ou does. under SIP Settings Internal set multiple registrations contact to True. I use a desk phone and two different soft clients all the same extension. Now you don't have to set up ring groups. Much easier and better for voicemail.

francois

Oct 3, 2019
I spent some time figuring out how to ring every registered phone when the follow-me feature is active on an extension.

Here is what modifications worked from me:

• Enabled “multiple-registrations” and configured with “contact“ on the internal SIP Profile as explained by @ad5ou.
  • Modified the follow_me lua script (mine was under /usr/share/freeswitch/scripts/app/follow_me/index.lua) by configuring the follow_me_strategy variable with 'enterprise' instead of 'simultaneous'.
Like @Jason Benedict, the deskphones and the softphones are now ringing simultaniously. Both with or without follow-me activated.

Status
Not open for further replies.