Starting a hosted PBX company

Status
Not open for further replies.

rchase

Jan 20, 2017
Hi FusionPBX users!

I have 6 years of VoIP/PBX experience including Cisco, Toshiba, and primarily FreePBX. FreePBX has been my favorite system, but my big complaint with it (or Asterisk rather) is the inability/ugly hacks for multi-tenant.

Lately I have been installing/servicing several FreePBX systems for small businesses, and I began working on the idea of hosting several client systems on my own platform instead of having them having to run on their own servers.

I first began trying out the Kazoo platform for this solution. I loved the Monster UI, but it was really complex in the backend, and missing very basic features in the GUI (required commands and config editing just to add a SIP trunk for example). Just the installation took entire days of troubleshooting and there was almost no documentation to be found. The IRC channel rarely responded to questions.

Last week I gave up after finally getting someone to talk to me on the IRC channel, 2 people both advised me against using Kazoo on a single server / 2 server HA environment like I intended to run for my small hosted platform business. They explained that the single server install is really only for dev purpose and a 7 server cluster was recommended for production, which is super overkill for what I am looking for. Both recommended I look at FusionPBX, so I did.

Now I have FusionPBX installed, it was quick and painless, and I was able to set up domains, register extensions, configure routes, add a trunk easily. Its amazing. The support on IRC is way more responsive and great so far.

I have more testing to do for my platform, but I plan to share all the information I can along the way. Right now I am focusing on how I will implement HA, and looking for help with it.

I created an install guide, mainly for my own reuse, and included some of my security tricks that I did with nginx:

https://github.com/reillychase/FusionPBX-Install-Guide-Debian

DigitalDaz

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 29, 2016
Nice guide, a couple of bits I would never use though but a great start non the less :)

dv8inpp

Jan 5, 2019
TXT record for godaddy FusionPBX. Finally got it working needed to use _acme-challenge as the Name not @ or _acme-challenge.domain_name.com

Status
Not open for further replies.