This codec is only usable in passthrough mode!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davesworld

Feb 1, 2019
That'll do it. Any thoughts of using GSM? As far as something in the bandwidth of g729 iLBC also comes to mind. I also am starting to see CLECs in North America at least, supporting Opus.

Adrian Fretwell

Aug 13, 2017
I have used GSM in the past, not quite as tight as G.729.

Opus is a good modern contender, it is gaining wider support and something I'm considering moving in to live, just a few more weeks of testing to go yet.

We all know that codec transcoding consumes valuable CPU time and we like to avoid it if at all possible, but sometimes we have to do it. Some codec tuples consume more CPU to transcode than others, so getting a measure of this in my environment is part of my codec integration testing.

Adrian Fretwell

Aug 13, 2017
i thought if i use G729 i make sure of Quality of voice in all cases
Codec choices are a trade off, and in your context what you mean by quality.

Low bandwidth codecs will give the best chance of hearing all of the audio, however that audio is not of the best quality because it is very compressed. Wider bandwidth codecs sound nicer and if it is sound quality you are after then wider bandwidth codecs are the ones to use providing the internet connection has enough capacity to carry that codec.

Abu Badr

Sep 13, 2021
Codec choices are a trade off, and in your context what you mean by quality.

Low bandwidth codecs will give the best chance of hearing all of the audio, however that audio is not of the best quality because it is very compressed. Wider bandwidth codecs sound nicer and if it is sound quality you are after then wider bandwidth codecs are the ones to use providing the internet connection has enough capacity to carry that codec.
understood,
i mean to hear all of the audio
thank you so much for the clarification.
Best regards

Davesworld

Feb 1, 2019
I have used GSM in the past, not quite as tight as G.729.

Opus is a good modern contender, it is gaining wider support and something I'm considering moving in to live, just a few more weeks of testing to go yet.

We all know that codec transcoding consumes valuable CPU time and we like to avoid it if at all possible, but sometimes we have to do it. Some codec tuples consume more CPU to transcode than others, so getting a measure of this in my environment is part of my codec integration testing.
I have tried opus and the only issue I ran into was that I could not hear my prompts when dialing into voicemail. Calling extension to extension worked fine and sounded very good. If I remember correctly, I was using a single core low memory VPS at Vultr. I am using hardware that is gross overkill for this application now. You are testing methodically, did you have any of these issues? More and more CLECS are supporting Opus.

Adrian Fretwell

Aug 13, 2017
Hi @Davesworld I am testing Opus, I don't currently have it deployed in live. I have parked the Opus testing for now because I have too much other work going on. I have noted your issue, I will pay more attention to the outcome of voicemail tests, thank you for your input.

Status
Not open for further replies.