updating fusion vs updating os

Status
Not open for further replies.

s2svoip

Dec 9, 2019
Sorry if this is a silly question,

I try to keep things as up to date as possible, but obv worry about braking a prod system, even with backups its still a little nerve racking.

I am running 4.5.15 on debian 9.11

no issues with running the fusion updates via the gui, but what about OS updates, i.e. apt-get update etc - whats best in this situation to update the OS but ensure you wont break anything with fusion, could running a full update, update freeswitch etc and cause issues ?

I have a test system and I did an os upgrade, its running 4.5.16 on debian 9.12, I see freeswitch is at 1.10.3 and everything seems to be running just fine...

Adrian Fretwell

Aug 13, 2017
I'm probably just over cautious, but I don't do OS upgrades on live systems. If I need to go to a newer version of the OS, I build a new machine with a new install of FusionPBX, then I will import the older Fusion DB and then run the fusion upgrades. If it all works, then fine. If not then I still have my old working system.
I run everything virtualised with XCP-ng so spinning up a new VM is no big deal.

s2svoip

Dec 9, 2019
thanks Adrian, that is very cautious.

I mean I always ensure I take a snapshot of the live machine before touching anything, so I can always revert so I have that safety net, I suppose I could always clone the live VM, then do a test upgrade on that - but its hard to test everything to make sure nothing is broken, it would be obvious if there was something major wrong but outside that it could be hard.

is there a guide for taking a backup and restore of the DB anywhere ?

s2svoip

Dec 9, 2019
@Adrian Fretwell so I had a good play with this. I spun up an entire new install, completely fresh. I pulled over one of the daily backups and did a restore. the export PGPASSWORD="zzz" line confused me a little as the script does not seem to reference this is anyway after you set it?

I found once I had done the restore I had to go and edit the config.php on the new server and put the db password from the old server in there. then everything seemed to work, the web interface seamed all good and everything looked correct, or so I thought.

As a test I re assigned the public IP from the old server to the new server, and re-ran lets encrypt to gen the SSL, I figured everything would just .. work, but alas no extensions would connect. I checked the logs and there was a database connection error, so I think its to do with the database password but not sure.

I think I am missing something here?

DigitalDaz

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 29, 2016
Check the database password in /etc/fusionpbx/config.lua is the same as in the config.php

s2svoip

Dec 9, 2019
Check the database password in /etc/fusionpbx/config.lua is the same as in the config.php
thanks, that corrected the errors i was seeing, strange still none of my test extensions will register. the logs look fine now.

would it matter if I am doing a clean new install then restoring over that, I see something in the log about the original install domain on the new server, but again everything looks correct and working but no extensions will register - very odd - is this not the recommended way to restore ?

Adrian Fretwell

Aug 13, 2017
Don't forget that once you have restored the data, you need to instruct FreeSWITCH to re-read the DB, or simply restart it.

s2svoip

Dec 9, 2019
Thanks guys, finally got it sorted, found another thing that needs to be changed:

Access control. Internal calls was working fine, but external inbound was not working, logs showed 407 Proxy Authentication Required - which brought me to a post here that mentioned checking in Access Controls > domains. I found a entry for the old internal IP, so I added the new internal IP and external calls started working.

can you guys think of anything else that might need to be changed in relation to the box's internal IP changing ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_1.png
    Screenshot_1.png
    132.3 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

s2svoip

Dec 9, 2019
So @Adrian Fretwell Ive been testing this more, brand new debian, with a clean new install of fusion, but as soon as I restore my backup it downgrades fusion, the status page has reverted to the version from the source server where the backup was done, is that normal ?

Adrian Fretwell

Aug 13, 2017
It depends on what "restore my backup" actually did. If you are upgrading then install the latest FusinionPBX, then restore ONLY your database. Once you have done that, then run the upgrade script at /var/www/fusionpbx/core/upgrade/upgrade.php You will probably need to run this more than once.

Status
Not open for further replies.