Using older VoIP phones with FusionPBX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legithasmit

Jul 14, 2020
I am a 16 year old kid working my way around learning about telephony and VoIP systems. At our youth club, we have recently come into possession of some old Cisco IP phones. I have begun to meddle with FusionPBX in an effort to create a working VoIP network from these phones. However, I have come across a problem.

I created 2 domains and both seem to work as expected when using a soft phone registering to user@domain.

When I tried to use the Cisco phones which I had to provision through TFTP they do not work. Looking at the SIP trace the request differs to the soft phone in that it comes as user@ip instead of user@domain.

I then created a domain of the ip address with the same user and the phone registers correctly.

So I want to know is it possible some how to get the phone to map users between the ip domain name and the actual domains so that I can have phones registered to both domains.

Eg user@ip points to 600@domain1

user2@ip points to 600@domain2

Etc

Stuck in my makeshift computer lab (bedroom) I really would like to get this working before my youth club fully opens up again!

Adrian Fretwell

Aug 13, 2017
Probably what you are short of is some domain name resolution (DNS) so domain1 resolves to 192.168.etc.etc and domain 2 resolves to...

Some routers have an inbuilt caching DNS server that will allow to to set up your own entries MiKroTik do. If you have any real domains, you may be able to add records there pointing to your private IP addresses, or you could set up your own DNS server on something like a Raspberry Pi.

I hope that makes sense.
Adrian.

DigitalDaz

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 29, 2016
What Ciscos are they, they should definitely be able to do domain, I will have some old Cisco configs somewhere.

DigitalDaz

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 29, 2016
That actually looks a bit too modern, I had some more recent models, one really nice touch screen one that is actually useless.

The older sip phones like these probably, where only ever designed to work with Cisco Call Manager and all the info we got was reverse engineered, you should still be able to get a single line working though with a domain, I have never failed to achieve that. Can you post the config?

DigitalDaz

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 29, 2016
Sorry, I can't find the config, but if I remember rightly the solution was not to add the proxy in the line config just the callmanager section, also, definitely no outbound proxy.

Status
Not open for further replies.