911 crisis alert

Status
Not open for further replies.

MammerJammer

Oct 23, 2018
Can FusionPBX send an alert message to a reception or front desk phone if 911 is dialed from any extension?

In a large office or hotel environment, reception or front desk personnel would want to be notified so they expect 911 responders and know where to direct them.

Further, could an on-premise FXO port device connected to a POTS line be configured for 911 power fail survivability?

David

ad5ou

Jun 12, 2018
You could add something in your 911 dial plan to send an alert multiple ways.
If email would suffice, try
Code:
lua email.lua to@domain.com from@domain.com 'headers' 'subject' 'body'

An FXO device wouldn't do you much good unless the pbx is on site and all phone related equipment was on backup power. If a pots line is available, it could be as simple as attaching an analog phone to it.

Last edited:

MammerJammer

Oct 23, 2018
The PBX is in the cloud. All our gear (ATA's, PoE switches powering IP phones) is on battery backup, including a 4G LTE modem as a secondary fail-over WAN connection. The goal here is two fold:

1.) Create survivability for 911 call path using the PSTN and a local POTS line in the event that the internet or PBX should become unavailable. Grandstream has GWX-series FXO gateways that support PSTN on power fail. The question is how to route 150 other extensions on separate gateways through that FXO.

2.) Create an on-screen notification for a Yealink IP phone that 911 has been dialed and by what extension. Similar functionality to the old Avaya "crisis alert" used on legacy on-prem PBX's like the Definity.

ad5ou

Jun 12, 2018
1) There is no easy way to do that. Simplest method I can think of is setting up a basic local pbx (raspberry pi?) for use as "secondary server" in the ATA's etc to route calls to local gateways if primary server is unreachable.

You could also set the secondary server to send calls directly to the GXW41xx with the proper programming of the FXO gateway.

The power fail feature of the FXO gateways simply connect the on board FXS port to the first FXO port.

2) you could probably use a similar script/command to send an "SMS" to the yealink phone with that info. I would imagine Fusion Support (mcrane) could sort out the exact method quickly.

MammerJammer

Oct 23, 2018
Ok, we have solved the 911 lifeline issue with hardware. The ATA we chose has an FXO port that will become a lifeline on power fail. Done.

Now we are back to the alert/notification. I emailed mcrane at the support email listed but I haven't heard a response. I also called and left a voicemail message on the published number. Do you have any experience sending notifications/alerts/SMS to an endpoint? I did a search here and found a thread that seems to suggest an SMS can be sent to Yealink phones: https://www.pbxforums.com/threads/sms-on-fusionpbx.309/

puneet936

Jul 14, 2019
How do you forward 911 calls to local FXO if your internet connection is down ? what failover mechanism are you using ?

MammerJammer

Oct 23, 2018
How do you forward 911 calls to local FXO if your internet connection is down ?

We have a couple more cost-effective methods depending on you requirements, but if you want bulletproof, there is the Adtran Total Access 924e, w/Lifeline FXO 3rd Gen (PN: 4243924F2). It has a hardwired lifeline FXO port that fails to the PSTN even in a total power failure scenario.

ict2842

Mar 2, 2021
Wichita, KS
In a large office or hotel environment, reception or front desk personnel would want to be notified so they expect 911 responders and know where to direct them.
Hello!

I am currently searching for the resolution to two of your problems. I too need an email sent out when an emergency call is made along with notification to a few people using the phones - school administrators and security. With FreePBX, I was able to setup an email alert along with a page group that rings the phones needed. They can pickup the phone and listen to the 911 call too. Have you come across a way to do this with Fusion?

Doug Dassow

Dec 20, 2020
I have the first issue the OP has "Can FusionPBX send an alert message to a reception or front desk phone if 911 is dialed from any extension?" 2 of my accounts are hotels. While ad5ou gave me a start, I am not sure how to add that line into the 911 dial plan and what information to put in place of the examples. I guess I am looking for an email to come into another email and say what extension dialed it. also if theirs away an alert coould come to a given yealink T46S phone's screen as well that is probably what these hotels are looking for. Thanks in advance

markjcrane

Staff member
Jul 22, 2018
Ok, we have solved the 911 lifeline issue with hardware. The ATA we chose has an FXO port that will become a lifeline on power fail. Done.

Now we are back to the alert/notification. I emailed mcrane at the support email listed but I haven't heard a response. I also called and left a voicemail message on the published number. Do you have any experience sending notifications/alerts/SMS to an endpoint? I did a search here and found a thread that seems to suggest an SMS can be sent to Yealink phones: https://www.pbxforums.com/threads/sms-on-fusionpbx.309/
A support ticket at https://www.fusionpbx.com is best means to track work that needs to be done. Email is not a good ticket system and if you get a lot of emails then some of them may go unanswered.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.