After changing to using number-alias cannot register

Status
Not open for further replies.

cemotyz09

Apr 23, 2020
I have fusionpbx setup that was working well but I had the idea to use number-aliases to make remembering the way to call me easier but now the extensions I've changed I cannot get to register. Is there anyone using names for the extension name and a number-alias that are able to register? Is there anything special needed besides changing the "Id"? The extension was using number for id ie; 1000 but then I changed it to a name if that makes some difference.

markjcrane

Staff member
Jul 22, 2018
Number alias is currently built for one thing. To be used when the extension is non-numeric then use number alias so that it can be dialed via a phone with a number pad. Its a common assumption to use extension numeric and number alias numeric and the code I wrote doesn't work that way currently.

Also view number alias a a way to find bugs a few features likely to break when using number alias. So currently number alias requires a permission that is not provided by default to users in the admin group in order to discourage its use. I'll do the same for superadmin group.

cemotyz09

Apr 23, 2020
I'm saying I changed it to be non numeric and now I cannot register. I did see the note about numeric id with number-alias will not work

cemotyz09

Apr 23, 2020
It is @markjcrane. It used to be 1000 I changed it to usernameA but now I cannot register. I tried to explain that process in case it makes a difference between starting as usernameA and being changed to usernameA from 1000

markjcrane

Staff member
Jul 22, 2018
Number alias as of 31 May 2022 only built to work like this example.

extension: markjcrane
number_alias: 101

Notice the number_alias is a numeric in the working example.

It will also work this way.

extension: 101
number_alias:

It will not work like this.

extension: 2083334444
number_alias: mark

And it will also not work like this.

extension: 2083334444
number_alias: 101

Reactions: cemotyz09

cemotyz09

Apr 23, 2020
Per your examples, I went from 2nd example to the 1rst example. That was the only change I made and now I cannot register. According to you @markjcrane this should work is what you are stating, correct?

gflow

Aug 25, 2019
Yes that works for me no problem. Maybe it's a problem with your endpoint try a different device or softphone.

Reactions: markjcrane

cemotyz09

Apr 23, 2020
@gflow I created a new extension and you're correct it does work. My issue seems to stem from the fact that wasn't using the alias before and then edited the extension to use it. For me it won't register for the edited extensions. I've checked the postgres db to see if the changes are reflected there and they are. Do you have any suggestions to try to figure out why it's not registering now? I did try different a softphone on my phone, tablet, and computer and they don't register.

Status
Not open for further replies.