ATA cordless in ring group keeps ringing after answer

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebitguru

Dec 16, 2018
Hi,

I have a ring group with three extensions for two Yealink phones and a regular cordless phone connected through the Grandstream HT812 ATA. If someone picks up one of the Yealink phones, the other Yealink phone stops ringing, but the cordless rings at least two additional times. I saw this old thread and tried both Enterprise ring group strategy and forcing Grandstream to use UDP without any luck.

FusionPBX is hosted on a cloud based server. The phones are NAT'd behind a Ubiquiti Dream Machine Pro with static IP, and the registration in FusionPBX shows this and the correct local and WAN IP addresses. All other functionality seems to be working OK.

Any ideas on what might be going on here?

Thanks!

ad5ou

Jun 12, 2018
Analog adapters will typically trigger an extra or partial ring due to the ring cadence and processing delays. An analog cordless phone will amplify that delay and is typical even in with pure analog lines.
If you don't like the extra ring or two, change out the analog equipment for a SIP capable cordless.

thebitguru

Dec 16, 2018
Thanks for the quick reply.

I was afraid that would be the case. Is this an issue with ATAs in general, or only with some ATAs (e.g., this one)? The cordless phones at this site get abused quite a bit, which is why we went with rugged cordless phones that were inexpensive and could be easily replaced.

Bifur

Sep 13, 2020
If you do go the sip route I have used these and they worked well. Used them in a warehouse environment. That setup was freepbx but should work the same.

Bifur

Sep 13, 2020
On a second note you could try a Cisco ATA. I've always used those over other brands and they work well for me. Just be sure to disable the router function of it comes with one (enabled by default).

Bifur

Sep 13, 2020
Awesome. Hopefully it works out for you. The simple setup is easy enough to get connected but make sure to set the time zone and if it's a remote server, enable nat mapping and keep alive. I also like to disable most of the *xx features. A lot of users do *67 for example and it blocks the caller id permanently, not just for that one call. Then they call me and say their number is showing as private, etc.

Interested to see how it works for you so please let us know!

thebitguru

Dec 16, 2018
Thank you for that info. I’ll keep it in mind when setting it up.

I’ll post and update afterwards.

ad5ou

Jun 12, 2018
Thanks for the quick reply.

I was afraid that would be the case. Is this an issue with ATAs in general, or only with some ATAs (e.g., this one)? The cordless phones at this site get abused quite a bit, which is why we went with rugged cordless phones that were inexpensive and could be easily replaced.
All ATA's I've worked with have some degree of delay. When using a standard analog phone, it isn't as noticeable but cordless phones almost always ring at least half of a ring cycle late. The cordless base receives the ring voltage from the "line" then has to process and send ring message to the handset.

Reactions: thebitguru

Bifur

Sep 13, 2020
I'm not saying there won't be a delay but I dont recall one lasting 2 rings on a Cisco ATA and we use them a lot. Maybe I just never noticed?

thebitguru

Dec 16, 2018
Quick update, I replaced the Grandstream ATA with a Cisco SPA 192 and still experienced the same issue. I do have another location with a similar setup and the only difference now is the actual cordless phones. The location with issues is using Motorola O212, while the location without issues is using rugged VTech phones.

I will play around with the settings on the Motorola phones to see if that helps, but I am not very hopeful.

Bifur

Sep 13, 2020
Thanks for the update. I have a Cisco ATA and cordless (probably VTech) I might set up this weekend and see. The in use ATAs are on asterisk so maybe it's different on Fusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.