best way to lock / disable extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

s2svoip

Dec 9, 2019
im sure there are a few ways to do this, but anyone recommend the best way to disable/deactivate an extension? looking to still have it registered but completely disable its ability to make internal/external calls - toll_allow perhaps?

ad5ou

Jun 12, 2018
Toll_allow is good to block some or all outbound calls, but we take it a step farther for inactive phones.
We edit the context for inactive extensions that we want to keep registered but otherwise unusable for customer
1690829450501.png
This keeps the phone from dialing ANYTHING by default. For a couple of customers, we create an extra dial plan in the "nouser.customer.domain" context to play a reminder message to contact appropriate people to activate the user.
We've only needed to use the method for a couple of customers that fluctuate staff size enough to turn off billing for users for several months at a time.

In a rare case, we had to do a similar special context for a customer who refused to pay bill for an extended period. In that case, any call would route to a message then option to be connected to billing departmnet.

s2svoip

Dec 9, 2019
oh thats a neet idea! thanks @ad5ou

do I need to have the context domain setup, or I can just edit it to anything random that does not exist ? interested to see your dialplan for the reminder message, I might set that up also

ad5ou

Jun 12, 2018
Doesn't need a matching domain. The custom dial plan is still under the regular domain, but the context for dial plan is edited to match what is entered under extension
I'll have to see if we still have any of the special dial plans still in there. From memory, it was just a copied and edited "caller-details" dial plan to answer, playback a wav file, then hang up. Other one was similar but did a transfer to a 'pastdue customer' IVR in our domain on the same server

s2svoip

Dec 9, 2019
gave this a test and did not stop my handset from working just fine, did a factory reset on the handset to ensure it re-provisioned if that's needed but it can still dial out just fine with none.me.com in the context

whut

Dec 23, 2022
Toll_allow is good to block some or all outbound calls, but we take it a step farther for inactive phones.
We edit the context for inactive extensions that we want to keep registered but otherwise unusable for customer
View attachment 3565
This keeps the phone from dialing ANYTHING by default. For a couple of customers, we create an extra dial plan in the "nouser.customer.domain" context to play a reminder message to contact appropriate people to activate the user.
We've only needed to use the method for a couple of customers that fluctuate staff size enough to turn off billing for users for several months at a time.

In a rare case, we had to do a similar special context for a customer who refused to pay bill for an extended period. In that case, any call would route to a message then option to be connected to billing departmnet.
Are you allowing emergency services dialing on "no user" extensions?

Status
Not open for further replies.