Call forwarding and codec selection

Status
Not open for further replies.

cybermaus

Mar 7, 2021
Netherlands
I have a single FusionPBX for our small business that I setup start of this year, and it has been running well.

SInce yesterday, we have trouble forwarding. Or rather, since yesterday we discovered forwarding works well, except for this one guy that has this one cell phone provider.
Checking the call records, the issue seems to be that a call comes in using PCMA codec, and is thus also forwarded using PCMA, but that one guy has a provider that does not like PCMA?

I think this, because the call rings, he can answer, but all either side gets is static. There is no actual error reported for the codec.
When we call him directly, the call is initiated using G722. But when we forward, it inherits the incoming PCMA

So the only difference is that he has a cell phone on a different provider. The originating cell provider is the same. Our VoIP provider in&out are the same. But this guy has a "Ben/T-Mobile (Netherlands)" cell phone and the other 4 people that are sometimes on phone duty all have "KPN (Netherlands)" cell phone.
And to be complete, our incoming/outgoing VoIP provider is "CheapConnect (Netherlands)"

Anyway, long story, my question is: can I force on forwarding that audio is recoded to G722?

Or alternatively, could anyone tell me if this could be caused by something else?

gflow

Aug 25, 2019
Do you have PCMA as an allowed codec and then freeswitch can transcode the call.

cybermaus

Mar 7, 2021
Netherlands
Yes, obviously PCMA is an allowed codec. If anything, PCMA and PCMU should be fallback codecs, being the omnipresent legacy codecs.

In fact, that is the a doubt I have on my hypotheses. I can barely believe this Ben provider would not accept PCMA
So the question is, how to I tell freeswitch to transcode this.

hfoster

Jan 28, 2019
It should do it based on what the other party will accept (or fails completely). You could always export 'absolute_codec_string' in an outbound route for that party, perhaps also an inbound one if necessary.

You probably want to check the SIP messaging first, you should be able to see the SDP offers.

henkpls

Nov 4, 2018
I have a single FusionPBX for our small business that I setup start of this year, and it has been running well.

SInce yesterday, we have trouble forwarding. Or rather, since yesterday we discovered forwarding works well, except for this one guy that has this one cell phone provider.
Checking the call records, the issue seems to be that a call comes in using PCMA codec, and is thus also forwarded using PCMA, but that one guy has a provider that does not like PCMA?

I think this, because the call rings, he can answer, but all either side gets is static. There is no actual error reported for the codec.
When we call him directly, the call is initiated using G722. But when we forward, it inherits the incoming PCMA

So the only difference is that he has a cell phone on a different provider. The originating cell provider is the same. Our VoIP provider in&out are the same. But this guy has a "Ben/T-Mobile (Netherlands)" cell phone and the other 4 people that are sometimes on phone duty all have "KPN (Netherlands)" cell phone.
And to be complete, our incoming/outgoing VoIP provider is "CheapConnect (Netherlands)"

Anyway, long story, my question is: can I force on forwarding that audio is recoded to G722?

Or alternatively, could anyone tell me if this could be caused by something else?
I had the same problem with a Dutch mobile provider, most are working except one. In my case it was the number format which I changed from 0031 to +31, so you can try this first. In my experience most providers only accept PCMA, PCMU and G729.

Reactions: cybermaus

cybermaus

Mar 7, 2021
Netherlands
Oh, that is a good trick to try.
To be honest, I have not givin this much effort yet. Too any other things, and this one guy with Ben provider just was taken of the phone duty roster.

But the 00 / + trick I can try.

Status
Not open for further replies.