Calls do not hang up

Status
Not open for further replies.

caretech

Jan 16, 2021
I just noticed the other day that calls are not being terminated when I hang up. For example:

1. Dial a PSTN phone number, and connect the call; when done talking, hang up my SIP phone. The call stays active until the PSTN device hangs up. I noticed this while doing test calls to my cell phone; if I hang up on my cell phone, my SIP phone also hangs up. If I hang up my SIP phone, the call stays active on my cell phone and needs to be hung up manually.

2. Dial voicemail: watching calls in sngrep, if I hang up while the auto-attendant is speaking, the call stays active and does not terminate. There's no sign anything changed when I hang up.

3. I have a setup where an IVR routes callers to various external numbers. If I dial in (from any phone) and select an IVR option that dials an external number, when I hang up the call from Fusion to the external number stays active.

4. Interestingly, if I hang up before a call completes (still ringing), the call cancels as expected. It's once a call is bridged that hanging up has no effect.

This behaviour is the same from various Yealink phones (T48G and a couple T42S), as well as when using the Zoiper softphone on Windows. Just for reference, all the phones I am using terminate calls properly when using FreePBX. So it must be a setting somewhere, or a dialplan issue... any suggestions are gratefully welcomed. Thanks in advance!

FusionPBX 4.5.26
FreeSWITCH version: 1.10.6-release-18-1ff9d0a60e~64bit (-release-18-1ff9d0a60e 64bit)
Running on Debian 10 Buster

Last edited:

Adrian Fretwell

Aug 13, 2017
This sounds like your BYE messages is going missing, it could be a NAT issue. Check what is being written in the Contact headers. A BYE is always sent to the IP address and Port specified in the contact header of the INVITE or 200 OK depending on which party hangs up the call.

caretech

Jan 16, 2021
Thanks for your reply. My `external_sip_ip` and `external_rtp_ip` had been set to my public IP address. (my system is NAT'ed.) For testing I tried switching to the default, `$${local_ip_v4}` and that took all internal extensions down. Trying to restart the Internal profile resulted in a message "Invalid profile internal" or similar. Setting the variables back to my public IP address didn't solve that issue; still got the Invalid Profile message, and my phone system was still down.

I rebooted the server and when it came back up, everything works. Hanging up calls now works properly. I have no idea why, as the settings are the same as they were before.

So, glad to report that calls are hanging up again now but feeling a little uneasy not knowing why it wasn't working in the first place nor why it decided to work now.

Adrian Fretwell

Aug 13, 2017
Glad it is now working. I always feel uneasy when a fault mysteriously goes away, I do like to understand the cause.

Even though it is now working OK you may still have an underlying NAT configuration issue.

It will largely depend on your make/model of router as to what you can and cannot configure but keep an eye on the UDP timeout values (often referred to as NAT holes). Some routers set this to a very low value, and if it is lower than your keep alive refresh timer then you will encounter seemingly random problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.