Cant able to access root login on PuTTY (FusionPBX)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saran Vijay

May 24, 2022
Hi Guys,
Hope all are doing Good!!!

I'm stuck with the issue, FusionPBX installation is done, and I can able to access Web GUI but via PuTTY, I can't able to login thru root user, I'm getting the error "Access Denied". Pls check the below screenshot.
1658416754751.png

but via User login i can able to access the puTTY with the user level access only. (Screenshot attached)

please let me know anyone have idea on this??

" i need to login puTTY with root access"

1658417115764.png

mannyg

Apr 6, 2022
from remote terminal

try logging in as "root@ip_address"
use root password

or after user login,
switch user with command "su"

Reactions: Saran Vijay

hfoster

Jan 28, 2019
Correct, this is true for most Linux distros. You can elevate privileges as that user with the su command with the root password.

I would really recommend a Linux course or training before attempting to host anything in production like FusionPBX. You may require basic troubleshooting skills, and if you have paying customers this could be problematic.

ad5ou

Jun 12, 2018
And to add to the existing correct information above....
Direct root login with password via SSH is disabled by default for higher security. If elevation from standard user is unacceptable, you will need to use a security certificate to login directly as root.

Saran Vijay

May 24, 2022
from remote terminal

use root password

or after user login,

Yes, im already tried and using by the 2nd method. (switch user with command "su")

but I need to login as direct root user

Saran Vijay

May 24, 2022
And to add to the existing correct information above....
Direct root login with password via SSH is disabled by default for higher security. If elevation from standard user is unacceptable, you will need to use a security certificate to login directly as root.

ok, could you pls share the steps, on how to enable this one?

Saran Vijay

May 24, 2022
Hi Guys,
Hope all are doing Good!!!

I'm stuck with the issue, FusionPBX installation is done, and I can able to access Web GUI but via PuTTY, I can't able to login thru root user, I'm getting the error "Access Denied". Pls check the below screenshot.
1658416754751.png

but via User login i can able to access the puTTY with the user level access only. (Screenshot attached)

please let me know anyone have idea on this??

" i need to login puTTY with root access"

1662642906758.png

Note: I already tried the below scenarios, pls suggest me any other scenarios.

(1) from a remote terminal

use root password

or after user login,

(2) Public Key Authentication With PuTTY

But above both 2 steps not working for me.

kindly suggest the steps to overcome this one.

Many Many Thanks in Advance... :)

hfoster

Jan 28, 2019
I fail to see how you can install FusionPBX without having an elevated prompt, so I suspect you don't actually know your root password which is why su isn't working. Don't worry however, as you're supposed to do everything via sudo these days anyway.

So you can reset the root password like so:

$ sudo passwd root

After this, su should allow you to switch users to root. Alternatively, I always use sudo -i. There's rarely any need for the root user, other than disaster recovery.

For remote access, openSSH on Debian doesn't allow root to log in via SSH password. So you can either:

1. Get public key authentication working on root. I can guarantee the steps above do work if followed correctly.

2. Or the set the very dangerous: PermitRootLogin yes on the file: /etc/ssh/sshd_config and restart the SSHD process. If this server is publicly accessible on the internet, you might as well just hand it over to the hackers now though.

3. Don't try to use root as the SSH username and just use your normal usernames and elevate when necessary.

Saran Vijay

May 24, 2022
I fail to see how you can install FusionPBX without having an elevated prompt, so I suspect you don't actually know your root password which is why su isn't working. Don't worry however, as you're supposed to do everything via sudo these days anyway.

So you can reset the root password like so:

$ sudo passwd root

After this, su should allow you to switch users to root. Alternatively, I always use sudo -i. There's rarely any need for the root user, other than disaster recovery.

For remote access, openSSH on Debian doesn't allow root to log in via SSH password. So you can either:

1. Get public key authentication working on root. I can guarantee the steps above do work if followed correctly.

2. Or the set the very dangerous: PermitRootLogin yes on the file: /etc/ssh/sshd_config and restart the SSHD process. If this server is publicly accessible on the internet, you might as well just hand it over to the hackers now though.

3. Don't try to use root as the SSH username and just use your normal usernames and elevate when necessary.

Thank you soo much @hfoster, ill try the steps. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.