Cant find it anywhere - Latest stable version of Fusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

galactic

Jun 26, 2019
Hi all

I have a few instances of fusion out there and they all run on different versions of fusion

the latest version listed on GITHUB is lower than my installed versions

Can somone point me in the direction of the latest stable version??

Adrian Fretwell

Aug 13, 2017
There has not been a stable release for a long time, Mark's advice given a couple of years ago was to install from the master branch - something no one actually wants to do in a production environment.

You probably need to do some reading up, but from memory, I think the last stable was 4.4 (patched branch).

galactic

Jun 26, 2019
Hi Adrian, last documented version that i can find is 4.4.1

A question also what version is everyone using on average that works?

Adrian Fretwell

Aug 13, 2017
To be honest, I feel like it is all just a horrible mess at the moment. I have a few boxes running 4.5.11. These were installed from the master branch but these don't all have EXACTLY the same code because they were installed at slightly different times and Master is a moving target. I have a few test instances at 4.5.27, but I am not entirely happy with them.

It's sad to say but I'm looking to move away from Fusion - more than likely to our own build with a modern customer interface.

bcmike

Jun 7, 2018
To be honest, I feel like it is all just a horrible mess at the moment. I have a few boxes running 4.5.11. These were installed from the master branch but these don't all have EXACTLY the same code because they were installed at slightly different times and Master is a moving target. I have a few test instances at 4.5.27, but I am not entirely happy with them.

It's sad to say but I'm looking to move away from Fusion - more than likely to our own build with a modern customer interface.
Keep me in the loop on what you end up building. You may get a new customer ;)

bcmike

Jun 7, 2018
Hi Adrian, last documented version that i can find is 4.4.1

A question also what version is everyone using on average that works?
I use 4.4.9 with FS 1.10.2. Not the latest and greatest but it's what's worked. I honestly love using Fusion but the upgrade path is always a big problem. My philosophy has been when wanting to use a new version to build the server and then put new customers on it. I rarely upgrade in place, and if it's something dire like a security patch, then I'll build new and migrate from the old so I have a fallback position.

Reactions: Adrian Fretwell

Adrian Fretwell

Aug 13, 2017
Mike, I always build new rather than risk potential upgrade issues. I run everything virtualised, so it could be argued that snapshotting a VM and then restoring the snapshot if it goes wrong is an option, but I like to test things for a few days to be absolutely sure.

Reactions: bcmike

ad5ou

Jun 12, 2018
Looks like my last update a long time ago put me at 4.5.14 on the main cluster.
I've been dreading the upgrade that is sorely needed at this point.

@Adrian Fretwell please let me know if/when you roll your own. I'd be interested too.

nktech1135

Dec 16, 2017
us
Hi.
I've been running a fusion instance for a few years now, but not been doing much with them for the last year or so. With the issues voip.ms had last week i had to move my home phone line so put it on my fusion server which increased my interest in the platform again.
Reading this thread is concerning to me, can someone update with the current status of the project? Is there still a lot of mind share being put into new features/development? or is the project dieing?

Thanks.

Adrian Fretwell

Aug 13, 2017
Is there still a lot of mind share being put into new features/development? or is the project dieing?
There is no doubt that FusionPBX is a great product, and I'm sure it will continue to be so for many, many years. The project is certainly not dying, the FusionPBX team has grown very well, I'm guessing the membership payments that many of us make is helping to fund this.

My personal three big issues at the moment are:

1. Despite my membership contribution, there is no new stable release.
2. Member only applications are closed source (not acceptable on my platform, despite me being a member).
3. Many good ideas from the community have not found their way into the project.

From my own perspective, I would like to see a truly open PBX project where the whole community is involved, everyone has access to update code, and it is completely open source. I would also like to see it built on a framework that is robust and future proof with the GUI look and feel separated from the business logic. The framework also needs to have excellent documentation so anyone will find it easy to add additional applications to the project. I would like to see Call Center wall boards available free of charge, and also a full REST API available for everyone.

I have been working on such an idea for over a year now, it has seen many false starts and many frameworks have been evaluated and rejected. At one point I even designed my own very light weight framework but then realised that, by doing so, I would fall into the trap that Fusion finds itself in.

The bottom line is that we are all where we are now through using the great product that is FusionPBX. I have spent hours, days and weeks helping people to use and understand FusionPBX and hope I have contributed, at least in a small way, to its success. It is now time for me to go in a very slightly different direction.

I will publish what we have done in the coming months for comment and feedback - It is NOT a FusionPBX replacement, it will be essentially what I, personally, need to run my VoIP business, and I hope that others and the Fusion team will benefit from my work.

nktech1135

Dec 16, 2017
us
Thanks for the thought out reply. This makes me feel a little better and matches some of the same feelings i've had in regards to fusion. In full disclosure, i'm not a paying member because for the little i do with fusion i can't justify the expense.
With that being said it's worked well for what i need and as i gain familiarity i can hopefully make meaningful contributions some day.

Steve

May 24, 2019
Thanks for the thought out reply. This makes me feel a little better and matches some of the same feelings i've had in regards to fusion. In full disclosure, i'm not a paying member because for the little i do with fusion i can't justify the expense.
With that being said it's worked well for what i need and as i gain familiarity i can hopefully make meaningful contributions some day.
The only way to safely update the software is to be a paying member. Most of the important update notes are in the continuing education videos and documents, and the member documentation. Updating without following this documentation can leave features broken.

Status
Not open for further replies.