Changing default domain...What's entailed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

5280pbx

Feb 4, 2019
Hi. Let's say my domain is pbx.domain.com...I want to change it to pbx.newdomain.com (business name changed, and I'm OCD about these things). I can rename domain in fusion to pbx.newdomain.com and point A record to server. Then, do I have to change the original pbx.domain.com in all tenant SIP registrations even if I leave the A records pointing to the same IP? Does fusion validate name of domains pointing to it?

Any suggestions/steps on the easiest way to change the domain are greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Brian

DigitalDaz

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 29, 2016
Fusionpbx uses domain names to distinguish between tenants. If the PBX is only ever going to be single tenant then you can force the domain in the internal sip profile. This will force all phones into one domain.

5280pbx

Feb 4, 2019
Fusionpbx uses domain names to distinguish between tenants. If the PBX is only ever going to be single tenant then you can force the domain in the internal sip profile. This will force all phones into one domain.

Sorry, have absolutely no idea what this means, since I'm new to this, hence asking for help on a forum. I mentioned that it's multi-tenant so anything about single tenant is irrelevant. Not sure how often people are running multi suddenly switch to single?

I've already explained my "multi" situation and my needs. Just asking what needs to be done to change domains and have the smoothest transition.

DigitalDaz

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 29, 2016
Hmm, then I must have missed something completely, I see no reference whatsover to multitenant. May be just my reading of it.

Well, then you need to change the domain on the phones to match that of the pbx.

5280pbx

Feb 4, 2019
It was a brief mention - "Then, do I have to change the original pbx.domain.com in all tenant SIP registrations even if I leave the A records pointing to the same IP?"

Someone I've worked with before said we can "do a regex replace in the SIP packets". Thoughts? Or any other workaround to avoid reprogramming?

paradym

May 26, 2017
I would try keeping the original domain and adding a CNAME record to each subdomain's DNS pointing to the new domain.

5280pbx

Feb 4, 2019
I would try keeping the original domain and adding a CNAME record to each subdomain's DNS pointing to the new domain.

Could you help me understand why I would want to keep the original domain when the ENTIRE reason for posting this is to change the domain?

paradym

May 26, 2017
Any suggestions/steps on the easiest way to change the domain are greatly appreciated!
Thoughts? Or any other workaround to avoid reprogramming?

If it would even work, you'd have a new domain without having to reprogram the phones. Granted, the FusionPBX domain would not change, but the domain of your server would. Glad to know that any suggestion is greatly appreciated; good luck.

WispAway IS

Sep 15, 2017
Well then... let me thank youse guys for the suggestions and extend the question since the first NS didn't get it.

I have a customer with a single tenant installation and I would like to absorb their setup(pbx.abc.com), along with another multi-tenant install(pbx.def.com, pbx.ghi.com, etc.), into a new install with a domain structure like abc.xyz.com, def.xyz.com, ghi.xyz.com, etc.?

Considering the very light configuration on the current multi-domain install I'd be willing to start the new install with a backup of pbx.abc.com(lots of config changes) and hand enter the rest.

So....before you flag me as irrelevant, what would it take to change the pbx.abc.com domain to the new abc.xyz.com domain naming convention.

Or should I just not bother and make the CNAME?

Thanks!!!
(In Advance)

JamesBorne

Jan 24, 2019
Australia
In my experience, changing the domain name from the Advanced > Domains menu works fine.
Nearly everything is a UUID anyways, so the name isn't as relevant as one might think.

Sidenote: @WispAway IS confirmed from QLD, Australia? lol

DigitalDaz

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 29, 2016
In my experience, changing the domain name from the Advanced > Domains menu works fine.
Nearly everything is a UUID anyways, so the name isn't as relevant as one might think.

Sidenote: @WispAway IS confirmed from QLD, Australia? lol

Yes, in a multitenant scenario, in theory, just changing the domain name in advanced domains should work because as pointed out, everything is uuid based, that said, I would test on a test box first. I have never tested this but for example the recording directory spring to mind, is no UUID, it is the domain directly, I do not know if the script updates this.

DigitalDaz

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 29, 2016
Actually, just tested it, it works fine:

Before:

Code:
ls /var/lib/freeswitch/recordings/
192.168.50.171  testdomain.local

After:

Code:
ls /var/lib/freeswitch/recordings/