Clone Domain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tag915

Sep 24, 2018
Is there a way to clone/copy a domain to a new domain? If we wanted a "template domain" to simply copy as we add new domains/tenants? I know there are a lot of things we can setup global settings for and that is great but not the same as what I'm talking about. I want to copy domain specific settings and even extensions, users, etc.

If there is no built in function has anyone created a script to do this?

If not one has could someone point me in the right direction for creating a script and I will post it back once I have it complete?

acoma

Nov 17, 2018
Hi,
I am very interested in this too. We clone FreePBX at the moment with a basic setup of 5 extensions, a night switch with ring group. It would be great to setup a "default domain" which could then be cloned to a new domain. Then go into the new domain and setup the new gateways, extensions/passwords.

Cheers

Reactions: tag915

tag915

Sep 24, 2018
Unfortunately I never got any response. I would think this could be done fairly simple but haven't had the time to toy with it myself yet either. Would be a great feature though.

DigitalDaz

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 29, 2016
I think as a start you need to define what you would need in this template. No one has said that yet.

John

Jan 23, 2017
Nice idea, but the question is even nicer. What to copy? Extensions? Well, that one is there. Faxes? How many faxes?

I think I am in favor of copying domain settings. That would be what I am interested in. Domain settings would be very nice to copy.

tag915

Sep 24, 2018
Actually I would like to be able to make a complete copy of a domain and all related settings. All extensions, faxes, domain settings, queues, ring groups, users, etc.

The settings would be generic/general but 90% of each client environment is the exact same.

This way we have a "template" domain for all new client. You just copy it, make any modifications and off you go.

We do this with our FreePBX but it is basically making a copy of a template VM. We then generate a batch file to import all the users and extensions. Takes a few minutes to bring up a new client environment regardless of how many extensions or users..

Ultimately we would like to tie this to our web portal where a new user could auto provision their own environment at signup.

Do you think this is something that the platform would support or be capable of doing? Is there specific items which could not be copied or scripted?

I'm happy to try and work on a script and share it but didn't want to reinvent the wheel or work on something that could cause stability issues in the system?

John

Jan 23, 2017
It's not as easy as it sounds. The project is using uuid for everything. Which is great and makes the system very stable. However, when it comes to duplicating, it is a work with database. To create the copy of the domain, you will need to empty the uuid value of each object and then recreate them (for the cloned version) with unique uuids. If you have the knowledge and the experience of doing this, this would be a great plus to the project.

I think it may take you months if not a year to be able to do this for every item the right way. The bigger problem is that if not everything is correctly copied (can be hundreds of objects) then you and your clients would be disappointed. Therefore, I would suggest selecting what is the most important to you and clone them separately.

At the moment, I am very interested in copying a full menu. But it is a big job in my eye.

Of course, I might be totally wrong. There are always people who can think outside the box.

Last edited:

ad5ou

Jun 12, 2018
I don’t understand the need for what is described. Fusionpbx is multi tenant so the majority settings are automatically created with a new domain or can easily be made a global option.

Why would you want multiple tenants with identical login/ext passwords, etc? New extensions can be mass created or imported.

Status
Not open for further replies.