Currently on Master (4.5.31) - What should we update to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyryko

Jul 12, 2017
Hi There
Slightly confused on versions here. We are currently on the master branch 4.5.31 and would like to update. If we go through the normal process of the GUI upgrade, will that update us to 5 or is master still considered 4.5.x? I'm ok with either, would just like to know.

Now that 5 is out is it considered stable? We moved to master quite some time ago as stable at the time was crazy old and current recommendation was to go to master. Currently wondering what is best to do.

We do have decently customized provision templates for Polycom that we need to keep in place and I see in the change log that there were some changes there. I just don't want to bork something especially with provisioning, but do understand we may need to update our profiles.

We always take a full backup before upgrades, but if someone can just give a hint of insight it would be appreciated. Also is the GUI upgrade still ok to do for minor revs or is it best to do the full command line upgrade? This page https://docs.fusionpbx.com/en/latest/advanced/upgrade.html IMO is hard to understand as it has conflicting ways to upgrade.

kobyhud

Mar 1, 2021
tyryko, that page has a pretty good explanation of the process.

You should take a backup, and the guide clearly tells you that you should also take a backup of your provisioning templates explicitly as well.

My upgrades are usually a mixture of command line (for the git and backup portions) and the gui (for app_defaults and schema). I generally apply permissions changes manually after the fact.

If you are on 4.5.x you probably have most of the changes already in 5, the move shouldn't be that dramatic.

I'll bet that upgrades is the number 1 reason that people become Fusionpbx members and pay for support.

5280pbx

Feb 4, 2019
tyryko, that page has a pretty good explanation of the process.

You should take a backup, and the guide clearly tells you that you should also take a backup of your provisioning templates explicitly as well.

My upgrades are usually a mixture of command line (for the git and backup portions) and the gui (for app_defaults and schema). I generally apply permissions changes manually after the fact.

If you are on 4.5.x you probably have most of the changes already in 5, the move shouldn't be that dramatic.

I'll bet that upgrades is the number 1 reason that people become Fusionpbx members and pay for support.
Can I hire you to upgrade?

kobyhud

Mar 1, 2021
I'm sorry I don't really have time to manage anyone else's upgrades. I really do think that Mark and his team would do a good job for your upgrade.

5280pbx

Feb 4, 2019
I'm sorry I don't really have time to manage anyone else's upgrades. I really do think that Mark and his team would do a good job for your upgrade.
LOL. Mark and his team use this as a funnel to his paid support (which took 2 days for Barry Crane to answer). Pointless to pay 300 for one month of support for a single fix when I could hire a freelancer. Issue was resolved. There are several comments around here about how much of a pain the upgrade process is, just so support is bought.

kobyhud

Mar 1, 2021
I can respectfully disagree, I don't believe the upgrade process is intentionally painful. The way the system was designed certainly has warts when it comes to upgrades. All mature software projects I have ever worked with have their problems and the upgrade process in Fusionpbx could certainly use some work. It does require a greater understanding to upgrade than to install and that is a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.