Debian install issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

elishamugenyi

Oct 12, 2021
Hello Team,
I installed a debian 11 server on VULTR (virtual box service), the later installed fusionpbx and installation was successful and i got the login details on the terminal. However when i try to load the domain name in the web browser, it shows me an error..'502 Bad Gateway', i have gone through the famous seven steps to resolve that error but still i cant get to the login page of fusionpbx. What is wrong with my insatllation of fusionpbx? please help.
Thanks

Adrian Fretwell

Aug 13, 2017
I don't think the install scripts yet support debian 11 (bullseye). The error is probably because the install could not work out what version of PHP/FPM to install. Buster, Stretch and Jessie are currently supported.

If you need debian 11 right now, you will need to modify the install scripts your self.

elishamugenyi

Oct 12, 2021
I don't think the install scripts yet support debian 11 (bullseye). The error is probably because the install could not work out what version of PHP/FPM to install. Buster, Stretch and Jessie are currently supported.

If you need debian 11 right now, you will need to modify the install scripts your self.
Hi Adrian,
Thanks for the response.
Does this mean i have to downgrade to debian 9 or 10 for it to work well?
Thanks

Davesworld

Feb 1, 2019

I was able to upgrade and yes, I had to modify and re-run some of the scripts as you know from another thread we both participated in. PHP was the biggest factor but it will work fine off of 7.4 after modifying and re-running the script. One gotcha is that the library that the FusionPBX upgrade uses, libcurl3-gnutls is still broken in Bullseye as the backport version in Buster is. To remedy this, in Bullseye, I had to install libcurl3-gnutls_7.64 (non-backport version) and libnettle6 from Buster using dpkg -i.

Folder permissions after a full os upgrade need to be looked at. Upgrading to Debian 11 for most people probably is not worth the trouble. Until Debian fixes that damned libcurl3-gnutls in Bullseye, you won't be able to upgrade FusionPBX without doing what I did unless Mark changes to another method of grabbing the git. There is a freeswitch package involving permissions that you must NOT install or it will change permissions to freeswitch:freeswitch with daily cron and on boot. FusionPBX uses www-data:www-data for most of it's folders. There are dozens of ways to mess this up. In a production system that people other than you depend on, I would hold off. Think about if you should upgrade to bullseye rather than if you could since I know firsthand that it CAN be done so that part is answered.

nktech1135

Dec 16, 2017
us
I was able to upgrade and yes, I had to modify and re-run some of the scripts as you know from another thread we both participated in. PHP was the biggest factor but it will work fine off of 7.4 after modifying and re-running the script. One gotcha is that the library that the FusionPBX upgrade uses, libcurl3-gnutls is still broken in Bullseye as the backport version in Buster is. To remedy this, in Bullseye, I had to install libcurl3-gnutls_7.64 (non-backport version) and libnettle6 from Buster using dpkg -i.

Folder permissions after a full os upgrade need to be looked at. Upgrading to Debian 11 for most people probably is not worth the trouble. Until Debian fixes that damned libcurl3-gnutls in Bullseye, you won't be able to upgrade FusionPBX without doing what I did unless Mark changes to another method of grabbing the git. There is a freeswitch package involving permissions that you must NOT install or it will change permissions to freeswitch:freeswitch with daily cron and on boot. FusionPBX uses www-data:www-data for most of it's folders. There are dozens of ways to mess this up. In a production system that people other than you depend on, I would hold off. Think about if you should upgrade to bullseye rather than if you could since I know firsthand that it CAN be done so that part is answered.

Curious, Were the upgrade issues ever fixed? or are there still things to watch for if upgrading from debian 10 to 11?

Andrew Byrd

Feb 16, 2018
I spun up a vps on ionos (cloud vps) and used Debian 11 and installed Fusionpbx in a production environment with no issues. It's running now. I haven't tried Debian 11 on any Vultr servers but I can't think of why the server host would affect Debian 10 vs Debian 11 with Fusionpbx.

Davesworld

Feb 1, 2019
Curious, Were the upgrade issues ever fixed? or are there still things to watch for if upgrading from debian 10 to 11?
Yes, they fixed the issues or to put it more accurately, they appended the installer months ago by adding such things as the version of php to match Debian 11 but it still will install just as good on 10 as it did before.

Davesworld

Feb 1, 2019
I spun up a vps on ionos (cloud vps) and used Debian 11 and installed Fusionpbx in a production environment with no issues. It's running now. I haven't tried Debian 11 on any Vultr servers but I can't think of why the server host would affect Debian 10 vs Debian 11 with Fusionpbx.

I have one instance running on a Vultr VPS no issues. I had to retroactively get my token at signalwire and get the freeswitch repo sorted. I do not know how the newest fusionpbx install deals with it though on fresh install. Perhaps someone can tell me how the latest installer sets up the freeswitch binary repo?

Davesworld

Feb 1, 2019

Davesworld

Feb 1, 2019
It doesn't. They switched it back to compiling from source since that's clearly what SignalWire wants people to do .

You can go into the config.sh and add the key if you want though

I'll have to look into changing mine to behave this way or does FusionPBX have a repo of compiled debian packages? SignalWire is already emailing me.

Here is what I was sent:
Hi there,

My name is Anthony Minessale, the CEO and co-founder of SignalWire. I’m reaching out today to welcome and thank you for your curiosity about the products we’re building.

I know there’s a road between your choice to sign up and choosing to build a product or feature of your app on our infrastructure, so our team looks forward to the opportunity to show you why, if you’re building a real time communications product with video, voice, or messaging (or all of the above)...

You’ve found your way to a platform that’s well-suited for real time communications apps in a handful of specific ways the others (even the big, currently-market-leading players) are not. We look forward to sharing this (and more) with you over the next couple of weeks. For today, I have one simple question I’d appreciate your feedback on:

What was going on in your situation that brought you to SignalWire?

Your answer will help me, our product team, and the developer experience team increase the probability of your success (and ours as a result!). If your answer really strikes a chord, it may even shape our roadmap.

I'll make sure someone from the relevant team sees your email.

Thank you for taking the time,

Anthony Minessale

hfoster

Jan 28, 2019
No repo, it's done in the installation script. It either sets up the SignalWire Repo, or compiles the version specified. Check out the config.sh file for a few more details, it's quite readable.

Davesworld

Feb 1, 2019
No repo, it's done in the installation script. It either sets up the SignalWire Repo, or compiles the version specified. Check out the config.sh file for a few more details, it's quite readable.
It is readable. At the moment I am installing Debian on a vm to use the installer as it is now just to have as a reference.

phonesimon

Apr 21, 2017
Currently running the installer on Debian 11 I end up with a machine that has no freeswitch modules built other than mod_amr.

If I go to /usr/src/freeswitch and try to make then I get a notice that "You must install libavformat-dev and libswscale-dev to build mod_av. Stop."

These things should have been figured out in the configure script but the install script blows through these errors and reports a successful install while leaving a broken system.

Davesworld

Feb 1, 2019
Currently running the installer on Debian 11 I end up with a machine that has no freeswitch modules built other than mod_amr.

If I go to /usr/src/freeswitch and try to make then I get a notice that "You must install libavformat-dev and libswscale-dev to build mod_av. Stop."

These things should have been figured out in the configure script but the install script blows through these errors and reports a successful install while leaving a broken system.

I wound up just getting a key and SignalWire to use the repos but in the future I would not mind just having them compile. Those are important development libraries to have missed. Nice to see you here Phonesimon. I have interacted with you on on DSLR and at one time donated to use your GV gateway until Google spoiled the party. Yours was the only method that gave CNAM if I remember correctly but I digress.

phonesimon

Apr 21, 2017
Hi @Davesworld , thanks for the greetings. I installed the libraries and went back and recompiled but the install script must have failed at least one other place as well, because the lua scripts aren't in place. I'll have to spend some time hacking at it I guess. A long time ago, there was a wiki that described a manual installation procedure but it has since been removed. The only way the developer wants this to be installed is through the script, but if it's broken, it's even more work to step through the script and debug.

phonesimon

Apr 21, 2017
I'll run it again and see where it fails.

The script should really have a "set -e" at the top so that if a step fails it halts.

Status
Not open for further replies.