DigitalOcean Floating IP + Snapshot for quick restoring

Status
Not open for further replies.

rchase

Jan 20, 2017
I am setting up a hosted pbx business where I will have several small business clients connecting to my FusionPBX

Ideally, I would have 2 HA servers with failover if one goes down, but I haven't found any support or documentation for this unfortunately, all I hear is I have to pay for the class, which I would consider once I have a system that is producing income for me, but not right away this early in the "testing out an idea" phase.

The best solution I have come up with so far is I have a DigitalOcean droplet running FusionPBX with snapshots enabled. I also have a "Floating IP"

Quick DR solution:

cloudpbx.mysite.com points to the Floating IP which then forwards to the droplet IP.

If anything breaks on the server, I can quickly restore the last snapshot to a new droplet and forward the floating IP to the new droplet

This should literally be about 5 minutes of downtime (untested, but I will test this weekend).

It would not require any DNS propagation thanks to the floating IP so no problems there.

Anyone see a flaw in the plan, or care to help me with HA please let me know !

simcard

Jan 22, 2017
Nice work; I like seeing the different ways people have a go at HA. Getting stuck into fusionpbx myself at the moment and keen to see the different ways it can be deployed.

I did see a youtube clip where the fail over time was significantly less that 5 minutes, more around ~5 seconds which, if you were considering a production service may offer a better level of service to your potential customer base.

Clip:

I haven't got to the stage of dissecting it to work out how they achieved it yet, so I can't help you on that one but thought it might be valuable nonetheless.

Dec 1, 2016
inside-out.xyz
Dear RChase,
It is very sad you don't find what you want. :( But HA is not a subject for newbies. Indeed, it is not a subject for VoIP, is more a System/Network Management topic (you must fully understand the TCP/IP stack and architectures of your involved elements). Taking the advanced class is one way to get the work done, another is getting professional services from myself.

I have deployed HA systems that when the server is not pingable, the floating IP moves in the following 2-3 seconds. Literally, your ping test doesn't realize about the switching and your sound only gets a small silence.

So, if you want to learn, I will give you the rod, but the fish: Google about heartbeat + pacemaker. Please note that the floating IP technique is only that, floating IP. You will need to deal with sharing the session, filesystem synchronization, and database sharing. Again, as I said, not a subject for a newbie. ;)

inform11

Feb 21, 2017
Russia
OK
If there is a problem with the host, then floating-ip is the solution to the problem.
And if the problem is in freeswch? CPU = 100% or memory load = 100%
Demon Freeswich does not answer ..
Floating-ip does not help.
what to do?

Tricom114

Mar 29, 2017
Hey, I'm having trouble getting my Droplet to work with the floating IP. Can anyone share some info on how to get it to work?

DigitalDaz

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 29, 2016
DO floating IPs break as much as they work, they also use a NATted floating IP which makes it very messy, I would stay well away from DO floating IPs and use DNS-SRV instead.

A couple of us tested DO floating and you end up with both machines thinking they have the floating IP, then you have to ticket DO, this happens quite often.

Tricom114

Mar 29, 2017
Oh, I see. Well, thank you for the heads up. You really saved me a log of time and trouble from the sound of it. Besides, I wanted to set up a backup install in a different datacenter and floating IPs would have not worked out since they can only work in the same data center.

Tricom114

Mar 29, 2017
You know I've been trying to get DNS-SRV to work all night and still no luck. Is there any documentation on how to set this up with FusionPBX? I can get it do work with X-Lite, but none of my Polycom or Yealink phones.

Last edited:

DigitalDaz

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 29, 2016
Unless you have a provider who supplies NAPTR I suggest you register a cheap domain with OVH, you get full access to NAPTR as well as SRV, it makes life much easier, I will post a tutorial for setting up NAPTR and DNS SRV within the next couple of days.

Dec 1, 2016
inside-out.xyz

Tricom114

Mar 29, 2017
I figured out how SRV works today, but I am now facing a new problem. So the way I have it set up is customer1.mypbx.com, customer2.mypbx.com, customer3.mypbx.com ext.

I have my SRV set as the following:
_sip._tcp.customer1 SRV 1H 10 100 5060 main.mypbx.com
_sip._tcp.customer1 SRV 1H 20 100 5060 backup.mypbx.com
_sip._udp.customer1 SRV 1H 10 100 5060 main.mypbx.com
_sip._udp.customer1 SRV 1H 20 100 5060 backup.mypbx.com

_sip._tcp.customer2 SRV 1H 10 100 5060 main.mypbx.com
_sip._tcp.customer2 SRV 1H 20 100 5060 backup.mypbx.com
_sip._udp.customer2 SRV 1H 10 100 5060 main.mypbx.com
_sip._udp.customer2 SRV 1H 20 100 5060 backup.mypbx.com

I provision my phones using Line SIP Transport = DNS SRV and everything works great. I can test it by shutting down my main server and the phones register to the backup without missing a beat... until I add the A records.

customer1 CNAME 1H main.mypbx.com
customer2 CNAME 1H main.mypbx.com
customer3 CNAME 1H main.mypbx.com

Now I know what some will say. "Why have A records?" Well, so they can get to their portal. There must be a way around this, right?

Reactions: kshah

kshah

Jan 27, 2021
I figured out how SRV works today, but I am now facing a new problem. So the way I have it set up is customer1.mypbx.com, customer2.mypbx.com, customer3.mypbx.com ext.

I have my SRV set as the following:
_sip._tcp.customer1 SRV 1H 10 100 5060 main.mypbx.com
_sip._tcp.customer1 SRV 1H 20 100 5060 backup.mypbx.com
_sip._udp.customer1 SRV 1H 10 100 5060 main.mypbx.com
_sip._udp.customer1 SRV 1H 20 100 5060 backup.mypbx.com

_sip._tcp.customer2 SRV 1H 10 100 5060 main.mypbx.com
_sip._tcp.customer2 SRV 1H 20 100 5060 backup.mypbx.com
_sip._udp.customer2 SRV 1H 10 100 5060 main.mypbx.com
_sip._udp.customer2 SRV 1H 20 100 5060 backup.mypbx.com

I provision my phones using Line SIP Transport = DNS SRV and everything works great. I can test it by shutting down my main server and the phones register to the backup without missing a beat... until I add the A records.

customer1 CNAME 1H main.mypbx.com
customer2 CNAME 1H main.mypbx.com
customer3 CNAME 1H main.mypbx.com

Now I know what some will say. "Why have A records?" Well, so they can get to their portal. There must be a way around this, right?
Hi , Can you please provide the documentaion on this? and can you please explain how do you do this, " I provision my phones using Line SIP Transport = DNS SRV" ? Thank you in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.