SOLVED Do I need multiple SIP profiles on the phone to know where the inbound call is coming from?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcooper

Jun 26, 2022
I see all these phones that have 20 line keys and support 20 SIP extensions, what would be the purpose of so many SIP profiles? I get the keys could be used as BLFs for other extensions.

What I would like to do is have 3 appearances on my phone, one for the main line (ring group), one for a DID direct line, and another for just the internal extension. Do I need to create 3 separate extensions in Fusion and add 3 separate SIP accounts on the phone to do this? The ultimate goal is to be able to see which 'line' is being called (the main line, my DID, or someone calling my extension number locally).

Correct me if this is wrong but:
Create 3 extensions in fusion
Assign one to the main ring group, one to my DID, and one as my internal 3 digit extension.
Add all 3 as a SIP profile on the phone, naming them appropriately.
This way I can see which 'line' is ringing when I get an inbound call.

There is probably an easier way I'm not aware of, hoping for some direction, thanks!

jcooper

Jun 26, 2022
I think shared line appearance is what I am looking for regarding the main line. And the DID can just go to the internal extension since I will see if it's a 3 digit or 10 digit number calling.

Jan 9, 2018
Unless you just want three line appearances, no I would only create a single extension and add it to your phone. Then, as you say, direct your main number and DID to it. As you say, internal calls will be identifiable by the three digit caller ID. To further distinguish calls coming from your main number versus your DID, do this: On the DID destination, add a "Caller ID Name Prefix" Maybe set to "DID" or "Direct"? Then when you get 10-digit calls, if they have a prefix of "DID", you'll know the call came from the DID. If they have no prefix, then they are from your main number. Or you can add a different prefix on the main number as well.

jcooper

Jun 26, 2022
Unless you just want three line appearances, no I would only create a single extension and add it to your phone. Then, as you say, direct your main number and DID to it. As you say, internal calls will be identifiable by the three digit caller ID. To further distinguish calls coming from your main number versus your DID, do this: On the DID destination, add a "Caller ID Name Prefix" Maybe set to "DID" or "Direct"? Then when you get 10-digit calls, if they have a prefix of "DID", you'll know the call came from the DID. If they have no prefix, then they are from your main number. Or you can add a different prefix on the main number as well.
I didn't think about identifying them that way, works much simpler.

Jan 9, 2018
Regarding the multiple line keys: We've never had a use-case for more than three or four SIP accounts on a single phone--and even that was unusual. Our use case for that many keys is for BLFs and speed dials.

However, we regularly have situations where a customer wants several line appearances of a single SIP account, so they can handle multiple simultaneous calls.

Status
Not open for further replies.