Email failing on first attempt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 30, 2018
Hi, I am new to FusionPBX but have learned a lot recently on it. My setup is fairly basic. 4 extensions, time conditions setup to a different voicemail for after hours and the primary incoming going to a ring group to ring all 4 extensions after the time conditions. Using AnveoDirect as the inbound and outbound provider.

So far everything seems to be pretty good except the voicemail email function. I have configured my email settings and when I test leaving a voicemail it attempts to email but it fails. I initially thought I just had some settings wrong so after triple checking my smtp settings I went to the email status page and click resend and it went right through. So it will fail every time on actually leaving a voicemail, but it will pass every time on resend, so my smtp settings should be good. Has anyone seen any similar issues before, any idea on a resolution? I do not know where to look to see the log for the email and why it failed, I only see failed.

Also, a couple other things to note. This is on a multi-tenant setup. I went to default email settings and copied the default email config to the domain and configured it there. I have not tried a second domain yet as I am just getting the server started.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jan 30, 2018
OK, so I did some more research on how to view log files and in the /tmp I was able to view the log file. It is saying:

SMTP -> ERROR: Failed to connect to server: (0)
The following From address failed: admin@mydomain.com
Mailer Error: The following From address failed: admin@mydomain.com

The SMTP I had it going through was just my domain hosting email smtp. I also just tried changing the settings over to go through my smtp relay server (through sendgrid) and I get the same exact thing. In both situations if I just click resend then the email goes through.

Is there anyway to enable a more advance debug for the mailer? Also, do I need to add my mail server IPs to the ACL in FusionPBX?

Thanks

Jan 30, 2018
Anyone have any thoughts on this, or any instructions I can use to enable more detailed logging for email so I can get a better error message?

Jan 30, 2018
Still looking for some assistance on this if anyone has any input.

Fax to email seems to send just fine, not sure if that is because Fax does an auto retry or if it just works the first time.

But even the email that goes out to confirm that a fax was sent correctly fails the first time and will work as soon as I click resend in the email status. I am hoping there is a way I can either tell emails to auto resend if they fail as they seem to go through the second time, or to just try to find out why they are failing when they first try to send.

Jan 30, 2018
Just in case anyone else runs into a similar issue. I was able to figure out what was happening here and I was able to do a work around for my setup. May not be good enough for everyone though.

How I had email configured was copying the email settings to the domain so I could have different email settings for each domain. With it configured this way it would work only after I clicked resend on the failed email. I tried doing this through sendgrid and gmail, both did the same thing. As soon as I removed the domain specific settings for email and configured email using the default settings, everything is working as expected. I suspect that fusion is first looking at the default settings to send the email, then it is failing because there were no settings, then when I click resend it is looking at the domain specific settings, but I really do not know for sure if that is correct.

I am OK with this in my case as I do not care if voicemail emails to my clients come from a generic default email. But if I wanted to have it be domain specific then it would not work for me.

Feb 5, 2021
Hi Raymond, I am having same issue as you. Can you please explain where exactly did you made the changes.

Thanks in advance..

Shawnwolf21

Feb 4, 2021
Hey guys, I'm also having a similar issue. Email sent for voicemail and fax worked just fine for months and just recently started having the same problem described above, except when I click resend, that fails as well. I can click the test button, enter another email address and that email did send fine up to about an hour ago. Now all outbound email is failing, even the test. I'm using Office365 for smtp relay and found Microsoft is depricating TLS 1.0 and 1.1, forcing everyone to TLS 1.2. I'm not seeing any setting on how to specify which TLS version to use. Anyone with an idea?

Reactions: aitp/nadmin

markjcrane

Staff member
Jul 22, 2018
I just added the setting to latest FusionPBX if you upgrade you will see it in default settings in category: email. It makes it possible to enable TLS 1.2 which Office 365 requires.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lorena Watkins

Andrew Byrd

Feb 16, 2018
Raymond Burress - You were correct. The latest fusionpbx is looking at the default email settings first and was failing because I did not fill out any credentials there. Then I went to email logs and hit resend and it worked because then and only then it was looking at the domain specific email settings. To fix this, I simply set up my smtp email credentials under default settings. It would be nice to use domain specific but at this time I will settle for global until it is fixed later.

Status
Not open for further replies.