Extension call forward based on time condition

Status
Not open for further replies.

hamagid

Dec 14, 2020
How can I create a time condition for a extension, that every call to this extension should be forwarded to another extension on Tuesday for example?

Lets say I want extension 108 to forward calls to extension 101 on Tuesday, If I'm creating a time condition that is sending calls to extension 101 on Tuesday and to extension 108 all other times, and I'm forwarding extension 108 to the time condition, I'm essentially creating a look for all other times when it's supposed to not forward the calls.

Is there a way to do this?

Jan 9, 2018
Two suggestions:
  1. If you can manage how calls get to ext 108, then re-route them instead to always go to the time condition. For example, if they are coming from a DID/destination or a menu option or even a speed dial button, then point them to the time condition. It won't help with direct-dialed calls, but will catch most.
  2. The only other option I can think of if you must catch direct-dialed calls is to explore the option of a cron job to toggle the forwarding status of that extension. I've never done this, so I'm not positive it would work. I would probably not use this option if I had any choice.
Ideally, at some point, it would be nice if there were scheduling built into the extension to handle this kind of thing--and this might also include things like scheduling an "after-hours" greeting on vmail.

hamagid

Dec 14, 2020
Thank you.

I went with option 1, but having this option is really convenient for a end user, rather than having to check all routes that brings calls to his extension and needing to update them all.

I even tried for a minute to create a dial plan for 202 in the dialplan manager before the standard extension dialplan, and have the time condition there, but 1) that works only for internal calls. 2) there is no option for the end user to change it.

Jan 9, 2018
Well, if you do not need it to be time-based but rather under user control, then just put a button on their phone to forward the extension. You can either do *72101 and then another button, *73 for unforward, or else pre-load 101 in the forwarding, and then just have one button to toggle: *74. Look at the "call forward" dialplan to see the differences.

Another possibility that is more automatic is to use the follow me option. It works just like a ring group. Then after say, a two- or three-ring delay, start ringing 101.
Note that follow-me is somewhat counter-intuitive--for example, if you set this for ext 108, then if you do not include 108 in the destination list, it will not ring 108 at all. So something like this would start ringing 101 after two rings:
1677617598269.png

hamagid

Dec 14, 2020
Yes the main idea is to have it automated, because it's a fixed timing, but the end user comes from a different platform where this option is available and when he wants the change for example starting the transfer 10 AM instead of 9 AM, it's a simple setting in follow me.

Your follow me idea wouldn't work in this scenario as this is always the same rule, here we need it only specific hours in the week.

Status
Not open for further replies.